Just assembled my 2 WSM's

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wasn't too bad at all. I am going to use the larger Brinkmann Charcoal pan for the water pan and the 22-1/2" Weber Kettle charcoal grate to use for grilling steaks. I am going to return the 18-1/2" charcoal grates I bought, they were supposed to fit in the charcoal ring and you crisscross them to keep charcoal from falling through, but they are kind of small and it doesn't seem worth the money or hassle. I am also going to return the ceramic knobs and screws. I don't want to bother with knobs on the sides of the cooking chamber. I'll just put on gloves to remove the chamber if needed.

I did decide to go ahead and mount thermometers on each lid. The industrial Allied Kenco models with 4" stems and 3" dials. Their range is 0-550 degrees and they can be calibrated. I went ahead and bit the bullet and went out and bought one of those Unibit Step-bits for drilling the holes. I already drilled out the washers to 13/16", but I had to get 1-1/2" x 1/2" washers. They didn't have any 1-3/8" x 3/4". They didn't have any 1-3/8" washers at all. I don't think an extra 1/8" will matter as long as the washers are at least 1-3/8", and I just had to drill out more by having only the 1/2" hole instead of the 3/4" hole.

The clamps I bought were plastic with rubber ends, they did not work well at all, the washer would spin on the wood and heat up and melt the rubber ends. So, I returned those clamps and got some small metal clamps. They worked fine.

I am still waiting for the thermometers to arrive from UPS, so I will finish the job as soon as they get here.

I went ahead and drilled the 7/8" hole in each lid using the Unibit (step-bit). Worked pretty good. I put a couple layers of masking tape down first to keep the bit from wandering around. I touched up the inside of the holes with some black, high-temp paint. Alright!! Now I just let the paint dry and wait for the 2 thermometers to arrive. Then I'll stick them in the holes and screw a 1/2" electrical backing lock nut from the inside of the lids to fasten securely. I should be good to go after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back