Junk? (item locator)

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
My grandma used to have these key fob things she'd keep on her keys and when they were lost she'd whistle or something & they'd beep. This seems to take it to a new level with the cell phone (or desktop) app to fire it off - they'll also work bi-directionally, so if you don't see your phone you push a button on it and your cell phone will ring. Seems to use a low power wireless comm, probably bluetooth, and if someone else in "their network" is within 100' it says, you'll get a notification.

I'm tempted to get a couple but you've got to buy a bunch more than I want before the value drops to what I'd pay. ...battery life is supposed to be 1 year.

https://buy.thetrackr.com/br/05/

Len, could you tell me the model #? I get a strange message when I click on your link:

"
Page no longer available
It looks like you tried to visit an old or non existing page
Please update your links to point towards the correct hobbyking.com location;"

Weird. I found it just using google earlier.

Go to the hobby king site and search for "plane finder". You'll get half a dozen entries depending on country. You can'tuse it with a cell tho. It was mainly to show it was old tech (and that crowdfunding may be unsuccessful). And these aren't gps--just emit a loud howl if no TX signal is found.

The original link was to a gps unit (or so I thought). Strange how it just disappeared.

Last edited:
Probably a region issue. I saw some GPS beacons @ makezine or something, tiny, wifi (they'll log in to unsecured networks to report their location), and cheap, but I haven't been able to find them the last 3 times I looked.

Clint there is so much junk at my house it would be easier to call 1 800 GOT JUNK than to "locate it all.

Wonder if these use the RFID locating cards?

Back