Jumpin' Jim's Chicken Thighs

Originally posted by Phil R.:
I don't want to sound too negative but...this recipe didn't really turn out too well for me. It kinda reminded me of the "barbecued" chicken my mom used to make in the crockpot...chicken swimming in slowly simmering bbq sauce.

I don't get the bbq sauce "bath". Properly cooked chicken don't need no tenderizing by means of braising.

I think you're right, in a way. I think the recipe has become more a "standardized" method for competition cooks to get chicken to where it needs to be, rather than a method for backyard cooks (though I've been known to keep chicken in a pan on the grill to hold it for service).

It should render just fine.

Fat does not need to be scraped. (I can't even imagine bothering with that.) It only needs to cook for sufficient time relative to temp to render well.

I haven't tried this recipe/technique before and it seems like a great way to make bbq chicken for a crowd. I would like to smoke the chicken for a hour at 225-250, cool quickly and put in the fridge, then on party day put in the pans with the sauce and cook for about an hour to finish cooking/heat through, and finally direct over the coals to set the sauce. Will this work? Trying to get as much work out of the way ahead of time. Thanks for the input.

Gerry,

I made a batch of these for a group BBQ and that's pretty much what I did - smoke them for about 1.5-2 hours until they were done, then shock them in the sauce in a cooking vessel and put them in the fridge.

Then the morning of the event, I put that cooking vessel into the oven and let them braise for a while.

On site, the cooking vessel went over indirect heat to hold the chicken, and pieces were finished directly over the coals as necessary. This worked great.

I made a batch of these for a group BBQ and that's pretty much what I did - smoke them for about 1.5-2 hours until they were done,
This is operative. Either cook at the first go till done or at least till safe internals are achieved.

Shocking in cold sauce to chill quickly (and stop the cooking) was a good move.

Thanks for the advice. At 225-250 it would probably take about 1.5 to 2 hours to cook through. I like the idea of shocking the chicken in the cold sauce too. I was just going to put them in zip locks and plunge them in ice water. Should I keep it in one layer or can I just fill up the pans? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Its always nice to get some good advice and recipes from a thread that is 10 years old. Gotta make the most of the little bit of nice weather I have left here

Just made up this recipe again. Its one of my wife's favorites and all she did was say how great it smelled cooking. She couldent wait till they were on the table. Usually I do them on the kettle but this time I used the WSM. Personally I think the kettle is better for this particular recipe. Here's a few pics.

Dont kill me for using the Famous Dave's rub.
icon_razz.gif

Is there an updated pic, it is not showing. I will definitely be using this recipe for my first competition...

Back