Juicy bird, tough skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Barlow

TVWBB Super Fan
My 14 lb, unbrined bird went on the wsm at 350?. 2-1/2 hrs. later it came off @ 165? in the breast. I've never had such a juicy turkey. However, the skin was tough, not rubbery, not crisp. Wazzup with the skin?

Howard,
Put a neutral oil(canola, peanut, or vegetable) or butter on the skin. It will crisp it up.
Jack
Smokin in the rain

A tip I use for crisp skin is to let the turkey sit uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. This lets the skin dry and results in a crispy skin. I also like to lightly brush the dried skin with butter or oil. I also do this when cooking turkeys by frying, roasting, or barbecuing directly or indirectly.

Howard,

Try this: Paint the the turkey with Olive Oil when you put it on. At the half way and three quarter point slather it again with Olive Oil. Start the turkey with a high dome temp. I shoot for 335 to 350* F. When your internal temp. hits 100*F., reduce the dome temp. to 250-275*F. until desired internal temp. is reached. The skin should become crisp. We don't eat the skin, not really healthy, but it sure is pretty.

I would suggest that you brine the bird as well. Check this page Buttermilk Brined Turkey - D. Gill

Comments/Questions?

willg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back