Jerky(venison)first time...wsm or other smoker?

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,

Getting ready to do some venison jerky for the first time. I've found some good info on this forum. Going to go with 'Randy's' recipe's, except I'll be using venison. This should be ok right? Also, would it be easier to do on an electric or propane smoker? Will there be a sacrafice in taste by going with a propane or electric smoker? I love my WSM, but was thinking of getting a propane type from gander mountain. They have this HUGE one you can get for $180. Looks like a nice one for the money.

ron

I do jerky 2 ways. I use my smoker for the first 2 hours to give it smoke. I have the Great Outdoors Smokey MOuntain Big Block propane fired. Then I finish off in food dehydrater. I always had trouble with overdrying when doing it comepletely in my smoker. I have a dehydrater that has a blower fan on it. I pull it just when its tender let set another hour and its not to dry and not to moist. I have a Apple flavored recipe I made up if your interested.

Gary, I'd be very interested in your recipe. I always have my deer processed by a butcher ... so, which of the venison cuts do you recommend to use? Thanks!
-Phil

The only other smoker I have ever used was a piece of bachtah ECB. Anyone speak klingon?
icon_wink.gif
Its funny you should speak about a big smoker at gander mtn. I just got off the phone with my dad. He was at gander mtn telling me about this huge smoker I need to look at. He would have made a good texan. He thinks bigger is always better.
icon_smile.gif

I,ve never tried venison . Does it dry out quicker because of the lean meat ? I,ve been making alot of beef jerky lately , I can slice a whole bottom round and hang it in the Klose for about four hours ,I try not to make tree bark , after it cools it goes in the fridge .

Phil when I have my deer processed I ask the butcher to leave me some choice meat like about 10lbs. Then I can cut them to my likeing and make sure I get all the tallow off the meat. I will use round steak or if a roast looks well enough. Heres is my recipe also.
you can use anywhere from 5 to 7 lbs of meat.
2 Cups Teriyaki Sauce
2 Cups of Apple concentrate ( can Apple juice of you need more liquid)
1 Cup of Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Morton Tender Quick salt
1 Tablespoon of Kitchen Bouquet
2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt
1 teaspoon Adolph's meat tenderizer
1 Tablespoon of salt (optional)
1/4 teasppon of Black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons Accent Seasoning
1 teaspoon of Garlic and 1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons of Liquid Smoke
Mix all the ingredients, place in covered container for 24 hours. I add cure by that I found at a local store but you don't need to. This will keep up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Also it will remoisture sometimes from the brown sugar when stored in the fridge so not to worry.
I found concentrate gives the best flavor. This was 2 years in the makeing so adjust and tinker with it. Apple wine can used be also. I usually just use cayenne pepper now 1/3 teaspoon to a pound of meat. It works well with a food deydrater or smoker. Want to be able to hold temp down to 160 and after a few hours check it for doneness. When you think its close take it out. It will still continue to dry for awhile afterwards. Any questions get back to me I usually check in here twice a day or email me at

hockypuc@airadvantage.net

I have the smoker I think you all have seen at Gander Mountain. I had the smaller version first and sold it got the Big Block. Smartest thing I ever did in my opinion. I am totally happy with it and I have comnplete faith in the thermometer mounted on the door. Assembly is easy and I am going to purchace me a steam cleaner for cleaning when its time. The drip pan in the bottom is one of the better features me thinks. I also bought a degreaser from Gordon Foods for cleaning my racks. It realy cuts the thru the grease and smoke.

Probably not what you want to hear.......but I've had the best luck making jerky in an electric food dehydrator I bought from Wal-Mart. It's a lot less effort than the WSM or any other smoker for that matter.

BTW, if you really like hot jery like I do, dip it in one of the sweet teriyaki recipes first and then dip it in some crusked habanero before drying it. It tastes like pure fire.

I use an American Harvester dehydrator for my jerky. Takes about 5 1/2 to 6 hours depending on how thin you slice. I don't know how this would work but if you wanted to smoke the meat on the WSM for a couple of hours then slice, dip in your marinade and then put in a dehydrator to finish. Might give you what you're looking for.

I bought a deydrator from Wal Mart with a blower motor on it for around $40. It will come with 4 trays for drying and you can add up to 8 more trays. I ordered 4 more to go with mine. I have done up to all 8 trays at one time. I usually can get a pound a meat to a tray. The highest setting is 165 degrees. I prefer my jerky outta deydrator over a smoker but I do use my smoker at times to. With dehydrator I can set it catch some zzzzz's before my wife gets home from work. My smoker I have to watch closely but it is a chore of passion lol. Check with some freinds or co workers and see if they might have one you can try out. Thats what I did and they had 1 of them Ronco specials from TV. Needless to say 3 days later it was done lol.

Back