Jerky photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Took the jerky off at 3:30pm, a 5 hour cook. The Original High Mountain Jerky Seasoning had a great peppery taste to it. The Mandarin Teriyaki was a little weak, not that impressed with the flavor. The meat turned out great. Here are some photos.

community.webshots.com/user/bruce850

I use Hi-Mountain quite frequently to make jerky (not in the smoker as of yet) and really enjoy the Original, Mesquite and Hickory. One thing I've noticed, is that the seasonings tend to 'soak' in the meat for days after your finished cooking them, thus producing the best tasting jerky 4 or 5 days after you dry/smoke the meat.

Enjoyed hearing your story, I think my next jerky run will be on the smoker!

Jerky looks great! I'm keen to try it myself now. Did it dry out nicely? Did you use water in the water pan, or something else?

Sean,

I used sand in the water pan. The meat dried out well but it was not completely dried out like the jerky you buy commercially. For one, the strips are thicker, mine were 1/4". I don't want to call it tender, there was a nice effort needed to bite off a hunk and a good chew to it. That's the best I can do for description right now. It was great, turned out better than I was expecting for a first time. My expectations for a "first time" cook of anything are usually lower.

Hey Bruce!

Those look great!

You can dry them much longer if they were still moist. Some of my thicker cuts have taken as long as 14 hours to dry....same temps as you are talking about.

OR

You can finish in a dehydrator.

Great effort!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back