Jerky not sliced ground

I do ground jerky often. Most people don't realize it's that until I tell them. I use a dehydrator with a thermostat. Haven't tried smoking yet.

2 1/2 lbs. of ground beef jerky is on. High Mnt. cure. 3 small pieces of pecan wood. Temp is between 150 and 180. There are two probes on the top rack. Instead of a screen, I placed the strips of meat on the top of a broiler pan. One on each level. Wish me luck. I may be up for a while....

Craig, I have tried a batch of ground b. jerky done on a dehydrator. It was very impressive.

Jerky Report:
Temps were steady for 7 hours. Since it looked like I was in for a long smoke, I added unlit coals at 3am. At 11 hours of smoking, I finally woke up to temps measuring 270 on the top rack at the edge (where it is hotter...) and 205 an inch above the rack. My fears were that the jerky would be way over cooked. It was cooked perfectly. The ground beef was hand rolled to a thicknes of almost 1/2 inch-thicker than most do. 11 hours was fine. Just a little chewy. NOT tough. Really quite easy. No water smoking was not a problem at all.

Back