Jalapeno Seasoning?

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I found a recipe for a rub that I wanted to try but I wasn't sure about one of the ingredients or what I could substitute in its place:

Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

I have all these on hand normally except for jalapeno seasoning. Anyone use this or have any idea what's in it. Thanks for all your help

Gerry D.

I would go with Ancho chili powder, or better yet, increase the amount and use a combination of several types of chili powders such as Allepo or guajillo. By the way, that is a lot of sugar relative to everything else in the rub. That is going to be a very sweet rub.

Never used jalapeno seasoning, but since it reads "seasoning", I'm guessing it's a blend of various spices that could include salt, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. as opposed to pure jalapeno powder. Since the recipe already uses salt and some of these other ingredients, I'd recommend substituting 3/4 t chipotle powder for the jalapeno seasoning and the cayenne. This will give you a nice smokey chile flavor; adjust based on your preference for heat. As it reads now, I'm guessing most of the heat comes from the cayenne and very little from the jalapeno seasoning.

Holy Cow! David's right. I didn't bother looking at the amount of sugar. What heat you were getting from the cayenne would be wiped out by all that sugar.

I was thinking about cutting the sugar by at least half and not adding the salt, just salting the meat before applying the rub. Is this enough or should I cut out even more sugar? I don't have my WSM or Kettle with me, just a cheapo campground grill with no lid. I was going to braise in the oven, make a glaze from the braising liquid + drippings, glaze ribs and finish direct heat on cheapo grill.

let me know if you can't find any jalapeno powder. I have well over 2 lbs of it and let me tell it it has some kick and tons of flavor. Bought it in New Mexico but have been seeing it a lot here in KC area. It sure adds depth to my rubs.

Adrian

Is this enough or should I cut out even more sugar?
It really comes down to personal taste. What kind of meat are you cooking? For me, rubs with some sugar are fine with pork. For beef and chicken most of the time, I don't use any sugar in them. I say give your version a try, it'll probably come out fine.

For pork I would cut back to about 1 tablespoon of sugar. Of course that would not give you much rub quantity, so you may have to multiply everything by 2 or 3 or even more, depending on how much you are cooking.

They're actually country style pork ribs. I made them in a similar fashion when I was in North Carolina a few weeks ago and had the same problem (no WSM) but I had my own rub. This time I was invited to Chincoteague with some friends and asked to make them again, this time no WSM and without my own rub. I have everything listed here but jalapeno seasoning. I have some ancho and chipotle chili powders, as well as some wasabi powder. My friend was planning on using this rub because he used it before and liked it. I still consider myself a newbie so I didn't want to tell him his rub was crap and I'm not confident enough just to whip up my own rub. Luckily he brought the ingredients but didn't mix up the rub. Thanks for all of your help.

Mixing the ancho and chipotle would be good too. Personally I wouldn't use the wasabi in this rub. Let us know how it comes out.

Making the ribs today and decided to hell with my buddy's rub. He asked me to cook them and then tries to tell me how and what to use, forget it. I'm going to rock Mr. Brown using the mop as the braising liquid. Will let you know how it turns out. Also will substitute mixture of chili powders for paprika.

That is actually Alton Browns Rib Rub, I use it all the time on ribs, I take the salt out as I found it to salty, and just salt the meat. As far as the Jalapeno seasoning I use Penzy's Jalapeno powder, but Ived use ancho powder before and still enjoy it. As for sugar vs. heat, its still penty hot unless you use his glaze recomendation also. Also if you haven't seen this episode, he does in fact state that these are not BBQ'd ribs
icon_wink.gif

I thought that it sounded familiar! I saw that episode, I'm kinda of using that approach since I don't have my WSM or Kettle. Never used his rub though. I have however used the Mr. Brown recipe and I am curious to see how using a mop as braising liquid will work. Thanks.

Back