Jaccard on briskets??

Stu M.

TVWBB Fan
Anybody out there had any success with a Jaccard on briskets? I would think it would help rub and/or marinades get into more of the meat more evenly.

Stu M.

If you don't mind cutting all those meat fibers to do the job it would work to some degree. Not something that would be my choice.

If you want more flavor in the meat marinate using a marinade based on brining principles. If you want more bark flavor improve the flavor profile of your ingredients and get better quality stuff.

I think Jaccards are better suited to meat that is on the tougher side that is not going to be cooked to a very high internal, like supermarket strips, flanks, etc. One can always inject a brisket to increase flavors on the inside but, frankly, I don't get the attraction from a flavor perspective. On thin brisket slices which are narrow because brisket is not a thick roast to begin with, one eats across the entire width of the slice in a single bite so adding flavors by injection seems like more work than is worth the meager payoff. Making the rub better and/or marinating seems like time better spent. But I feel the same way about injecting butts destined for pulled pork as well (though I agree with the perspective if the butt is meant for slicing). The butt is going to be pulled anyway. I think injecting is at best a waste of time and at worst flavor-overkill. Many people disagree with me.
icon_smile.gif

Sometimes I will use a Jaccard type tool on a strip steak or pork chops, or ribeyes that are to be grilled. But for low and slow BBQ foods like brisket, the low and slow over a long period of time tenderizes the meat far more than piercing it with several hundred small holes.

Kevin and Bob,

I was going to purchase a Jaccard on Saturday before my brisket midnight cook but decided not to after reading your posts. I agree with you guy's, let the process do the work, "naturally". For the first time I did not injected it, and secondly I improved the quailty of my rub (better and fresher) and got the best brisket I have made to date. I pulled it off the WSM this morning at exactly 190degrees, wrapped it foil, and let it rest for a couple of hours in a cooler wrapped in warm towels. It was awesome!!!

Thanks

I did try a brisket once that I had the butcher run through his jaccard. It seemed to dry out a bit more that usually, and didn't do anything noticable for flavor or texture.

Back