J-Lo cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Now TVWB folks,

I am most happy to report that after a couple of mediocre attempts to fix pulled pork using picnic /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif , I stepped up to a butt from one of our better butchers here in Porkopolis and what a difference ! I won't waste my time with grocery store cuts anymore - it's top line butcher cuts from now on for me.

I used the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe and it took @ 13 hrs to get my 6.5# butt (yeah I wish my butt only weighed 6.5# !) to 195. The meat fell off the bone with only the slightest provocation. I had scored the butt on both sides with the grain in 4 places to a depth of 1/4-3/8". I thought this would let me work more rub into the meat. It also increased the "bark" quotient somewhat (a VERY good thing IMHO).

I finished it off with the Smoke & Spice "Vaunted Vinegar Sauce". Made for some great Q. For now I'm calling this the "J-Lo cook" because its the best butt I've yet to come across ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

J-Lo is also one of my favorite butts too (next to my wife's -- same heritage!).

Glad you like your WSM, stick to the butt for pulled pork. You might try going to Costco for the butts, they are usually pretty cheap, about a buck a pound.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back