Dinner tonight

Crockpot Beef Carnitas

1 lb. beef flank steak
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup beer
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot/slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Remove meat from juice and shred with a fork.
Discard all but 2 TB. of liquid, combine with beef.
Serve on corn tortillas with pico de gallo and sour cream.

Source: CLBB - Elisabeth13 - 9-18-07
It took quite awhile to make this again, but this was dinner last night. Still very good!!!

I know a lot of you YANKEE'S like to grill in the snow, but for those of you who don't, I am bumping this thread up and hoping to post some more goodies for you to make. 🥰

Here is one that sounds real good for on a chilly day. We both gave it a VERY GOOD!!!!

BEEF GOULASH

1 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat
2 medium carrots, bias-cut into 1/2" thick slices
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cup beef broth
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 TB. Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 red or green sweet pepper, cut into bite size strips
Hot cooked noodles
Dairy sour cream or yogurt
Hungarian paprika (optional)

1. In a 3 1/2 or 4 qt. slow cooker, combine meat, carrots, onion and garlic. In a small bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, the 1 TB. paprika, lemon peel, salt, caraway seeds, black pepper and bay leaf. Stir into vegetable and meat mixture in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in sweet pepper. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Serve with noodles. Top with sour cream, if desired. Sprinkle with additional paprika. Makes 6 servings
Source: BH&G "Slow-Cooker Meals"

Don't know exactly why but I've kind of pushed my SCs and we have four of them to the side when I got our instant pot.
It pretty much accomplishes the same thing in about 10% of the time. One example is split pea soup, 3-4 hours stove top, 6-8 hours slow cooker, 35 minuet's instant pot. The IP version is super good, and IMO better than the other two methods.
I like what I see in Joans Beef Goulash recipe, so I'm going to give it a whirl in the IP.

DH and I like the idea of putting the slow cooker on in the morning and having MANY, MANY HOURS of not worrying what is for dinner.

I'm sure you understand that Rich. 🥰

DH and I like the idea of putting the slow cooker on in the morning and having MANY, MANY HOURS of not worrying what is for dinner.

I'm sure you understand that Rich. 🥰
I completely understand that Joan and depending on what it is, I do enjoy the smelling the aromas during the day. As you know Barb and I make an advanced menu for our dinners, but right now our world is really hectic with sometimes two to three doctors' appointments a day and appointments two to three times a week. She will have her first surgery Jan 20 one of four to replace both hips and both knees the whole process will take all of 2024 to complete. So many times, I don't have the time in the morning and not knowing when we might get home it makes it hard to plan out a slow cook.
The instant pot I prepare all the ingredients at night the night before and put everything in the fridge.
When we get home, I know I can have dinner ready in 30 minuets. The IP doesn't care if something is frozen or not it cooks it. Thats the reason the slow cookers are on hold right now.

FYI. I converted your Beef Goulash to an IP recipe and will hopefully be trying it next week.

Instant Pot Beef Goulash

Ingredients
2 tablespoons oil or calorie-controlled cooking spray
1 1/2 pounds stewing beef cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion peeled and finely chopped
1 red or green bell pepper cut into bite size strips
2 medium carrots bias cut into ½” thick slices
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
1 Tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 1/4 cups beef stock
1 bay leaf
½ tsp salt
¼ Tsp black pepper
Hot cooked noodles
Dairy sour cream or yogurt
Instructions
Select sauté, heat half the oil in Instant Pot insert and quickly brown the beef in batches, remove from insert and set aside.
Add remaining oil and sauté the onion and peppers until soft (about 5 minutes), switch off and quickly stir in the garlic, followed by the caraway seed and paprika.
Add the beef stock and thoroughly deglaze the pot.
Add in the rest of the ingredients, cover the pot, seal, select the stew setting and set the time to 25 minutes.
Allow for an NPR of 10 mins and then perform a QPR.

Rich, please give Barb my love and tell her I will be praying for her. I am soo sorry you both have to go through this.

This was dinner last night. DH gave it a Very Good and I gave it an OK. (maybe a little bit better than ok, lol)

Chicken Lasagna Florentine

2 cans condensed Cream of Chicken soup
1 pk. frozen chopped spinach
9 oz. chicken, cooked, diced
8 oz. sour cream, light
1 cup milk
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Combine first 10 ingredients.
2. Place 3 uncooked noodles in the bottom of a 5 qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 spinach mixture, sprinkle with 1/3 cup Mozzarella. Repeat 2 more times.
3. Cover with lid. Cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional 5 hours. Makes 8 servings

Source: Southern Living Slow Cooker Recipes - (posted by Terri_A CLBB)

Back