Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim C

TVWBB Fan
Well Almost.
Just ordered my WSM from Amazon.com
The arrival date is Sept. 7th.
Some of my friends are really excited.
One of them just droped off 80lb. of charcoal.
Another friend gave me a recipe for marinated
chicken breast in Clam Juice and minced garlic.
Ever hear of anything like that ?
My first session will be chicken marinated
in a North Carolina Viegar based sauce.

carolina red

1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne or hot red pepper flakes

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to dissolve the sugar. Serve at room temperature or chilled. The sauce keeps indefinitely.

Anyways... I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey Jim

Had our first cook yesterday. Biggest help was a thermometer dropped in the lid vent. I have a Poulder digital so I can see it without having to go outside since it is hotter than blazes here in Houston.

Also, you might want to foil the water pan. Sure helped with cleanup.

I had chicken on the bottom and ribs on the top racks. Didn't take the top off for basting for 3 hrs. I think you will be amazed as I was with the temp control.

Oh yea, Amazon got it to me a week early. Only took one week from being ordered.

SonnyJ

Hey Sonny,

Thanks for the tips.
I almost forgot about getting a thermometer.
I got one question.
What would be best to oil up the cooking grates ?

Jim C

I use olive oil, but I think that most any cooking oil will do as the temps won't usually get hot enough to cause the oil to burn. That being said, I don't really think oiling the grates is that important when doing ribs, butts or brisket as they have a lot of fat and seem to be self lubricating. Chicken and fish seem to benefit more as they will stick on dry grates. Good luck and happy smoking, I know you will love your WSM and you'll find a lot of new friends once they taste your BBQ. Don

Hey Jim,

The chicken on the bottom grate didn't stick at all. The ribs on the top did some, but they were the leanest ribs I had ever bought. I will be getting a rib grate, holder, whatever you call it. I will probably rub the grate with a little bacon grease we keep for beans, greens, etc.

If you have a grilling background like me, try to resist the temptation of taking off the lid and seeing how everything is. I fiddled with the air vents a little just to do something. The WSM holds temp so well, you will be amazed.

I got a spray bottle and basted the meat after 3 hrs with 2 parts vinegar, 6 parts apple juice, 1 part olive oil, salt, and pepper. I don't know if this is a good baste or not, just made it up as I went.

I am getting a Brinkman charcoal pan to replace the weber water pan this weekend. That way it should go all day (or night) between fills.

Let us know how your feast turned out.

sonnyJ

I just spray my grates with PAM. Its not so much to keep the meat from sticking as it is to make cleaning the grates easier after the smoke is done. The smoke residue and meat bits comes off easy if I spray with PAM before the cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back