Italian Dressing 'Mix'

Kevin, would you change your mix for a Greek, rather than an Italian vinaigrette?

Sub lemon juice for some or all of the vinegar?

I have Penzey's Turkish/European oregano and the only other oregano that they carry is Mexican. I see that THE SPICE HOUSE carries it. How different are the flavors?

Rita

Edit: 6/10/10 - I received my order of Greek oregano. It smells much stronger and a little sharper than the Turkish that I have. I'm looking forward to making the 'mix.'

I like to cook from scratch so I don't buy packaged stuff but there's certainly nothing wrong with it and there are good products out there. Penzey's would be one I'd try were I to go the packaged route. I've never been even slightly disappointed with anything I've bought from them and my purchases go back many years. I probably single-handedly funded the opening of their last store.

On marjoram: I use marjoram second only to thyme as my most used herb. It has a sweetness that I'm quite fond of. If you make your own croutons, toss them with some marjoram just after you've tossed them with your butter or butter/olive oil mix, and before browning. Great on salads and delicious on onion soup. Marjoram doesn't get bitter from cooking too long the way Greek oregano can. It's also a good addition to garlic bread: sprinkle on just before baking (perhaps with a little freshly grated parm), and very nice with tomatoes, along with basil.
Thanks Kevin, an old post, but glad I found it. I have been wondering about what to do with our Marjoram. lol

Thanks Kevin, an old post, but glad I found it. I have been wondering about what to do with our Marjoram. lol
My clients have been enjoying this dressing for 4.5 years. Never have asked for anything else. I double the recipe and keep it in the freezer. I use a myriad of different vinegars from red or white balsamic, red wine, or sherry.

Back