Is this thing cooking too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi. I'm 3 hours into a cook of a 12.5 pound brisket.

My probe temperature is up to 140. The meat was at 38 degrees when I started.

Is this normal?

Rob O,

Sorry I didn't see you sooner. Are you confident that your therm is accurate. Have you tested it lately?

If so, then it's possible I checked back through some of my older logs and I have had chuck rolls and briskets at 145 or so anfter 4
hours, so it's possible.

If you have trust in your therm, then trust what it says.

What temp is your cooker at?

Bruce, he was up around 245 on an earlier thread...I was wondering about the therm placement in the flat..

From what I've read (no personal experience to share unfortunately) you're going to see some plateaus during the process where the meat temp will stall for a time then continue to rise more slowly as you get further into the cook. This can vary based on the fat content as far as I understand. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Based on this recent post by Keri C. you seem to be in the right ball park. Very good read that. Have another beer, relax and just enjoy the experience.

~Dave

He's got another thread down aways where he says he's at 245 and his vents )plural are open 25%, he's using Minion. He needs to shut down two of those vents and control it with one. IMHO, at least I would.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
He's got another thread down aways where he says he's at 245 and his vents )plural are open 25%, he's using Minion. He needs to shut down two of those vents and control it with one. IMHO, at least I would. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah..He was going to shut them down some more...

Well.....

Both therms register 144 now.

Lid temp is stable at 230.

I have 3 vents open about 5 to 10%.

What.... me worry? Now where'd I put that beer?

Well, lid is at 230 so the grate is probably at 215 or 220...You're doin' just fine! Don't let the temp get too much lower though
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:

Hey Bill, isn't that cute....130 posts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
... My probe temperature is up to 140. The meat was at 38 degrees when I started.

Is this normal? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Doesn't sound unusual, even the big chunks of meat can get to 120F in a couple hours but the rate the temp goes up will decrease the higher the temp gets.

It could go from 80F to 100F in 30 minutes but may take many hours to go from 160F to 170F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back