Is This Thing Awsome Or What

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Chavez

TVWBB Fan
First cook is in the books. Full size spare ribs.4 full racks. 5 to 6 lb per. I prefer full size spares to loin back. More meat just as tasty and less than half the price. Apple juice spray and rubbed with my own formula. In fridge overnight. Cut ribs in half and placed in 2 rib racks. 10lb Kingsford 4 chunks dry hickory. About 5 or 6 lit coals full water pan. Put meat on at 10am Saturday morning. Top and bottom grates. Got her up to 250 by about 10:45 or so and let her eat. she maintained temp throughout with minor adjustments. Sprayed with apple juice about 2pm stired coals a little let her go till 5:30 could wait no longer. Took off cooker. Slathered with own homemade Makers Mark finishing sauce. Waterpan only lost about 1inch. The rest as they say is history. Some of the best ribs we have ever had and we have had some good ones. The only thing I could find wrong was a slight off taste. Hard to discribe. Maybe from any protective coating that might have been in the cooker thats all I can figure out. If it reoccures the next time will have to investigate further. All in all this is the best cooker I have ever used and I have used a few in my life. You can almost set it and forget it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Well this post is long enough. Anyone got any ideas about the off taste please pipe in. Also removed water pan stired up coals put about 50 abt's on the cooker took car of those no problem.

Michael,

It might have been in the meat. Sometimes the best q'er can't overcome a bad piece of meat. You never know for sure until its done...were there any off odors on the meat? Sometimes they pack a brine solution in the cryovacs that really smell bad for a few seconds after you open the package.

I am not aware of any off flavors from the smoker, but it could have picked up something during shipping...Weber-Stephens is very concerned with quality. You might ask them if they have heard anything...

Regards,
PrestonD

Very well could have been the 4 chunks of hickory, try less next cook and see if that doesn't cure the problem, or try a lighter flavored wood.
Jim

Thanks for the advice. Now that I think of it. It was a very mild off taste. As a matter of fact I was the only one who noticed it. It was almost a chemical taste. I will take Jim's advice and lower the wood ammount. The meat seamed to be nice and fresh. No off odors or slimey. Nice tight grain. If it happens again will look into it further.

I did not notice any aftertaste on the ribs and pork loin that I smoked on the first use of my WSM. I used a couple chunks of apple and a chunk of hickory for the smoke.

1. Wait until your pit is up to 250 deg. Then put the meat on. Your chemical taste will be gone.
2. Use less hickory, the bitter taste will be gone.
3. Buy younger pigs, (4 and under), the gamey taste will be gone.
4. Always wear underwear, you won't be embarrassed in the hospital after a car wreck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>4. Always wear underwear, you won't be embarrassed in the hospital after a car wreck. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't forget to make sure they are clean, with no holes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelly Ratzlaff:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>4. Always wear underwear, you won't be embarrassed in the hospital after a car wreck. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't forget to make sure they are clean, with no holes. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Kelly[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I blew out my knee once and went to the hospital. It wasn't until they asked me to take off my jeans that I realized I was wearing the smiley-face boxers my wife gave me. The kind covered with these /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . So therefore, clean, no holes, and no smiley faces. Then you're good to go.

I will have to disagree with Dave's point number four. It has been my personal experience that although my underwear was clean before the wreck, it wasn't afterwards...............

Henry Joe reminded me of an experience I had over ten years ago. I catered a hog roast for 200 and did the cooking on site. I stayed up the entire night cooking and tried to stay up the next night for the party. There was a tradition that still exists today for this social circle. The first person who wimps out and goes to sleep or passes out got painted up in one fashion or another.

At this point in time, any man who went down for the count first had his toe nails and/or finger nails painted a lovely shade of pink. Once everyone had eaten, I made the mistake of laying down in a hammock and fell asleep. Sure enough, I got painted up. I did remove the finger nail polish, but I left the toe nail polish on as a joke and a reminder not to fall asleep around these pranksters again.

The next week, we were cooking at the BBQ'Lossal in Des Moines. I wound up going to the hospital the first day of the contest with severe chest pains. Since I had excellent health insurance, they kept me there for three days. I had completely forgotten about my painted toe nails, but I was reminded about this when a nurse broke down and said, "Pardon me for asking such a personal question, but why do you paint your toe nails?"

Beers to all,

JDB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back