Is this a good thing?

JimT

TVWBB Pro
First, let me say this was my first cook with a new center section replaced by Weber. It took a while to figure out, but it was deformed at the top "lip" and causing me all kinds of problems. Wow, what a difference! I could actually control the temperature!!
icon_smile.gif

Now for the question.

At the tail end of the rib cook, I closed the bottom vents completely to sort of "hold" the sauced ribs until the rest of dinner was ready (top vent remained 100% open.) The vents remained this way over night. When I went to clean things up today, I was a little surprised to find a completely cold fire, with many briquets not showing signs of ever being lit. There was a definite pattern of lit to unlit going away from the access door (the bottom vents were set equally during the cook.)

I know I'm kind of rambling here, so let me get to the question. Should the fire go out with the bottom vents closed and the top vent open? I've read that to snuff a fire, you need to close all the vents.

JimT

Jim, in my opinion, you have one of the tightest WSM's out there if you can snuff the fire that way. Way to go!
icon_cool.gif

My vent door lets just a bit of air in. I just cannot get it to fit snug. But, I have also learned my WSM pretty well and am ok with it. If I control the temps on the way up...open 100% until 200 degrees then drop to 50% until 220 degrees then drop to %25 at 230 degrees and %100 on all but one at %10 I run right at 230 for a lid temp.

Each one is a little different and you just have to figure them out.

Back