Is this a good gameplan?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Smoking 2 butts and 5 racks of ribs. The butts are about 8.5 lbs each so I figure about 13 hours for them. For the ribs, I am going to smoke them for 2 hours, wrap them in foil and put them in a 200 deg. oven for about 2 more hours. I have a sauce to make for both meats.
Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

Hi Barry,

If you have a couple of 8.5 Lb butts I think you are going to have a longer smoke. The last couple of butts I did were in the same weight range and the cooks went app 16 hours at 220 - 240 to get to an internal of 195 - 200.

On the ribs most suggest 3 hours in the smoker, then wrap in foil for another two hours then a final unwrapped hour. However others more knowledgeable will probably respond.

On the butts, I have never had a butt go less than 16 hrs. I usually cook two abd plan on cooking the butts around 18 hrs at a lid temp in the 220-240 range. And, for the last 6 hours, I throw on some baked beans on the lower rack. The drippings really add to the flavor of the beans.

If you need to speed things up, you can always wrap the butts in foil and put them back on the smoker.

I will plan on a longer smoke for the butts. We are not eating unitl Sat. night around 7:30 so I have alot of time to extend the smoke. So if we start around 10 pm Friday we should have plenty of time. What's a few more beers between friends anyway?

Back