Is this a Brisket Flat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Spencer

Stopped by BJ's and picked up piece of beef labelled "Beef Bottom Round Flat CB". It's going to be cooked Sat or Sunday.

It weighs about 13.5 lbs., and was labelled "choice".

Is this a brisket flat?

I checked out the excellent tutorial about brisket prep and cooking etc.. and cannot wait to smoke this chunk!

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question.

It's not brisket but a tough piece of meat, it'smore like cookin flats than packer cuts. A product like Fab B would help this cook.
Jim

It can be purchased through The Ingredient Store
http://www.theingredientstore.com/
What it is does increase moisture and reduces shrinkage, been using it on brisket for a while now and enjoy the results very much.

They also have Fab P for pork and fab C for poultry, have not used either product yet but have some waiting for a good time to give it a try.
Jim

Jeff,

Did you try this out? I also live in Lancaster and saw these at the BJ's in Centerville. It sure looked like a brisket to me, but I wasn't sure.

DO you know of any local sources for brisket? Only place I know of is Walmart.

It has been my experience that BJ's will list flats as "Brisket Flat" and not another name. Perhaps that is just how they do it here?!?!

Jeff, Erik, BJ'S only carries flats. They are above the steaks and ground burger and are trimmed way to lean, not to mention the cost $2.99 lb
icon_eek.gif
. I get all my Choice packers at Super Wal Mart in York $1.28 lb. I have bought over 30 of them there and so far so good.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Just picked up a nice 11 pounder from Wally World in York. FYI, I know both of the Supercenters in Lancaster have Briskets, although last time I looked they were only select and not very good. Then again, that was during the meat shortage.

They had an 18.5 pounder at Wallyworld. I was tempted.... :-)

I just picked up a small brisket at the Wally Martz on the east side of Lancaster off 30. $1.28/pound. Have to go to true value Thursday to pick up some of that charcoal Bryan told me about. More Lancaster people lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back