Is there a down side Im missing??? 1st Post

I love my 22". Uses a little more fuel but not much. Just make sure to stock up durring Memorial Day and 4th July sales each year. Also watch for the yearly Kingsford coupons.

I've got one of each. Only used the Big Boy once but it did use a bit more fuel. I assume this will be reduced when the gunk builds up and the temps stablize better. No regrets on getting the Big Boy though. Both are great.

Originally posted by Tony L (Tonyboombatz):
I am deciding between the 18 and 22.. I have always loved to grill and this will be my first smoker. I have 4 big parties a year and have 3 growing boys all the time. Im thinking "go big or go home". Is this a bad idea for a "first" smoker? Any down side with the 22 as a first smoker. Thanks in advance for responses.

Tony-Long time lurker...first time poster.

I think the big WSM is too expensive, and in general it is bigger than you need.

But that said, the 18" WSM is a tight fit for a whole brisket or a slab of spareribs. You have to cut the rib slabs in half to make them fit, and the brisket is a tight squeeze. They should both fit comfortably on the 22" rack.

But the bigger smoker will use more charcoal and costs more, and the 18" is big enough to make a lot of meat. You can cook for a lot of people on the 18".

So I guess it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money for the big one.

Hi ya Tony. The way you entertain, and the size of your family, there should be no second guessing,get the 22.5, or you'll be regretting it, a long with a garbage can of charcoal, and light her up !!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
I have the 18.5, but there is only 3 of us, and the big party days are pretty much behind us. Terry

Back