Is the WSM the real deal?

This thread brings up a question I have been considering for a while. How does a WSM or other charcoal smoker compare to the electric ones that look like small beer fridges. An electric one should be 100% set it and forget it, but I wonder about whether it would have the same flavour that charcoal gives.

I had an Brinkmann electric gourmet, only could use in the summer months because it would not get hot enough.

Even with wood chips/chunks the flavor was just a tic better than the oven.

Used it a dozen or so times and gave it away.

Glenn W wrote:
I had an Brinkmann electric gourmet, only could use in the summer months because it would not get hot enough.

That was my experience too. Even with a thermal blanket around it, the electric element couldn't compensate for the heat loss in cold weather. It did an okay job in the summer though. I freecycled it to a young couple who had moved to Maine from Memphis!

Chris...the electric box box type smokers work fine....however, they do not impart the deep smokey flavor most of us here at the TVWB prefer
wsmsmile8gm.gif

The answer to my original question as to "Is the WSM the real deal?" The answer is, just as you all said, "yes!"

I did a test run last week where I lit her up minion style and had a solid 220-260 temp range for over 8 hours! I just put some scrap bacon and some st louis style spare rib trimmings in there to grease things up a bit. Regardless, the temp held steady even during 30 degree weather with winds! I'm impressed.

Today I have a pork shoulder smoking as I type and the St Louis spare rack is in the fridge waiting to go on. What a fun toy!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What a fun toy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
'nuf said!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

For anyone new who is reading this thread and asking themselves the same question that John A. asked, "Is the WSM the real deal?":

As of the date of this posting, my competition barbeque team has earned 10 Grand Championships and 10 Reserve Grand Championships using only 18.5" WSMs.

Yes, the WSM is most definitely the real deal!

Buy one.I own a 18 and a 22. By itself it is a wonderful smoker.Add a Stoker or a Guru and it is the ultimate set it and forget smoker.With a Stoker or Guru mine will keep pit temps as tight as a 5 degree swing. NO oven on the market is this tight on temps. I have given them as gifts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Wagg:
This thread brings up a question I have been considering for a while. How does a WSM or other charcoal smoker compare to the electric ones that look like small beer fridges. An electric one should be 100% set it and forget it, but I wonder about whether it would have the same flavour that charcoal gives. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you should ask, I have beer in my old box smoker now. Ice on the top shelf, it works pretty well for camping.

Back