Is someone actually grilling on a Genesis II?

I can sear a steak with all 4 burners on high, with the cover open mind you. The new burners are really great, and won't go out even on low settings, like some of my other, older Genesis models did.

Every review I've read and other comments leads me to believe that this grill doesn't get hot enough to sear a steak. What is your technique to searing a steak, specifically with this grill? I'm considering this version, however, I'm concerned about the apparently lack of searing ability (based on reviews). I'm curious to hear about your experience with it. Thanks!

As I wrote in my other post, with some consideration after buying it, the genesis II e-310 can get 550^ after 10 minutes of pre heating, 580^ after 15 minutes and 600^ after 20 minutes. This is my first gas griller, so I cannot compare it, but for me it's pretty hot. I still have to test it well with steaks.

Chiming in late as a new owner :)

I bought the SE-410 for 900... No tax and free shipping. Reaches 550 in under 15 minutes. Cooked on it last weekend... Only one cook this far.

Fit an finish is fantastic. It's a solid grill that weighs nearly 200 pounds. This is my second Weber gasser... I think my previous Weber was the Genesis Gold?

Anyway, I hate buying stuff in China. And almost passed on the Genesis II... but gave it some more thought.

I recall a time when the Japanese automakers were kickin our butts in the Auto industry. And then we also realized that the Japanese cars made in America were better than the American made cars made in America. So what was the difference? Sound Engineering, quality control, and processes.

I think the same analogy holds with weber. They have excellent engineering. And while it's made overseas, they have manufacturing processes in place that weber insist upon.

I did look at some American made grills. Or Canadian made for that matter. Broil King was one of them. But they cut corners on the Firebox which was a non-starter for me. At least in that Baron line.

Overall, I am very happy with the grill. I am so glad I purchase the four burner. At 34 in wide, there's all sorts of room for indirect cooking, and multi-zone cooking.

I guess my final point is my Weber gold that I purchased at Home Depot was fully assembled in a box and cost $900 in 1998 eight I think it was. 20 years later I have a much larger Weber with much better Parts on it since this thing is all stainless steel innards... For 900 bucks.

-T

Last edited:
I've grilled on my Genesis II E-310 for about 5 times now since I got it last summer and it is a nice and solid grill. I did pay a made in China price for it though ($169 plus tax) so no complaints there. If I did have to pay reg. price then I probably would not have picked it up.

Chiming in late as a new owner :)

I bought the SE-410 for 900... No tax and free shipping. Reaches 550 in under 15 minutes. Cooked on it last weekend... Only one cook this far.

Fit an finish is fantastic. It's a solid grill that weighs nearly 200 pounds. This is my second Weber gasser... I think my previous Weber was the Genesis Gold?

Anyway, I hate buying stuff in China. And almost passed on the Genesis II... but gave it some more thought.

I recall a time when the Japanese automakers were kickin our butts in the Auto industry. And then we also realized that the Japanese cars made in America were better than the American made cars made in America. So what was the difference? Sound Engineering, quality control, and processes.

I think the same analogy holds with weber. They have excellent engineering. And while it's made overseas, they have manufacturing processes in place that weber insist upon.

I did look at some American made grills. Or Canadian made for that matter. Broil King was one of them. But they cut corners on the Firebox which was a non-starter for me. At least in that Baron line.

Overall, I am very happy with the grill. I am so glad I purchase the four burner. At 34 in wide, there's all sorts of room for indirect cooking, and multi-zone cooking.

I guess my final point is my Weber gold that I purchased at Home Depot was fully assembled in a box and cost $900 in 1998 eight I think it was. 20 years later I have a much larger Weber with much better Parts on it since this thing is all stainless steel innards... For 900 bucks.

-T

Nice to hear from someone actually grilling on the new genesis II. I don't have one but I think they look great and look like they will last.

Back