Is my BOB plan ok?

Todd D.

TVWBB Super Fan
In anticipation of Smoke Day 2005, I want to check with the experts and make sure this plan off attack sounds good.
1 brisket, pre-trimmed weight is 12 pounds. 2 bone-in butts, pre-trimmed weight is 15 pounds.
Goal is to serve at 4pm Saturday. Plan of attack:
Noon: Trim and rub meats and return to fridge
8:30pm: Start smoker for MM cook
9:00: Brisket on bottom rack, fat cap down and butts on top rack.

Hopefully brisket should be done close to 2pm Saturday at which point I pull it out and put beans on bottom rack. About 3pm butts hopefully done and put ABTs on top rack. Both meats wrapped and resting in cooler until 4pm.

If I cook the brisket fat cap down, with the butts basting it from above, can I leave the brisket without turning (The Mr. Kruger, minimal fuss approach
icon_smile.gif
)

After pulling the brisket, wrap and store fat cap up.

Appreciate any comments on things I should consider doing differently either cooking or timing wise.

Also, I have a jar of Cajun Injector Hickory BBQ. Was planning on doing both butts with the mustard slather and Armadillo Willy rub, and inject one with the marinade. Should I inject when I trim/rub at noon, inject just before taking it to the smoker, or not inject?

Thanks, and have a great Memorial weekend!

Timing sounds very appropriate to me. Even if the butts went 18 hrs, which is possible, you'd still have an hour leeway. Sounds like a plan.

I've never injected a butt so I really can't advise. If I were to do so I think it would be right before I put the butt on the smoker.

Have a great time.

Paul

Todd,

Thanks for asking because this prompted me to switch from only a 12# brisket to BOB. I'm planning on a 9:30 start time for hopefully a lunch time finish. If not, I'll suffer with watching my Bullet turn lead into gold into a great afternoon.

How did this cook go?

For some reason, when I start butts or brisket at 9pm...I am lucky to get them pulled in time for dinner the next day, and I typically finish the last 10-20 deg in the oven (works well for me).

Can't speak for Todd's outcome, but mine was right on time. I had two 7# butts and a 11.5# brisket on at 9:30PM and off at 12:30PM, wrapped and dropped into a cooler. The butts were 188+ and the brisket was 180 - 188. Not being a brisket expert and having my probe battery die on me, I had to wing it, but it was a hit for two couples dining on B&B.

Many thanks to Mr. Kruger for all the brisket advice gleaned from many different threads. The trimming (or lack thereof), fat down cooking and up resting, and all the general tips made this an easy first-time success.

Timing turned out great on this one! On at 9pm, and brisket (185F) and the smaller of the two butts (190) came out at 2pm and went to the cooler to rest. Beans went on bottom shelf at that point, the other butt (187F) came out at 3pm, wrapped in foil, and went to 300F oven for about 30 mins before going to cooler so the ABTs could get started. Served about 4:15pm. Definitely enjoyed the packer brisket moreso than the flats, and I think the fat cap down, basted by butts from above worked great. Also my first cook with the Brinkman pan, so not adding water was nice as well. Everyone left fat and happy (including the two pregnant ladies
icon_smile.gif
)

Terrific, Todd. So great when a cook/meal goes according to plan, huh? (Doesn't always happen with Q'ing!)

And Jimbo's cook, too. Cool. (The fatcap down was a suggestion from Jim Minion. In a conventional oven one cooks them up, and in a kettle or on an open pit (both of which I used for years before getting a WSM) I flipped them, often a lot! Down, for a vertical smoker, made perfect sense to me.)

Back