is it true or is it........

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
is it true or is it just sales marketing........ ive read a lot on these infared grills and cookers including the charbroil big and easy. These manufatures say grilling is bad for food due to dry heat causes food to dry out where as infared is not dry heat and causes food to be much better and moist. Marketing scam or real deal?????

The Big Easy turkey we had at Thanksgiving was as juicy or juicier than any I've ever had. Take that as anecdotal, but there's probably at least a little truth in most of such claims. Juicy isn't EVERYTHING, though. Searing, smoke, and browning all contribute to flavor.

You mention "grilling is bad for food". Lot of claims that "grilling is bad for YOU", as well. As for those claims, smoke from fat in the fire and extremely high cooking temps seem to be the most popular specific causes, but who knows? After the fall, SOMETHING kills us all. Moderation's my motto.

A friend bought on of those Char-Broil Big Easy cookers (about $100). It burns propane. I think all the flame is in the interior of the wall of the cooker, with the heat radiating in to the food.

Anyway, he has cooked several chickens and pork loins on it and says it is great. He also has a WSM and cooks good BBQ, so he knows what is good.

If you fry much turkey, it may be worth the $100 for the savings on peanut oil alone. That stuff cost a fortune these days.

I think I just talked myself into buying one. I have a propane tank with plenty of gas left from crawfish cooking, and it wants to burn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Marketing scam or real deal????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Marking scam, plain and simple.

"dry heat causes food to dry out"

This is true.

"infared is not dry heat"

This is true.

Infrared "causes food to be much better and moist"

Marketing hype.

However any food overlooked will dry out regardless if you are using dry heat or infrared heat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
"dry heat causes food to dry out"

This is true.

"infared is not dry heat"

This is true.

Infrared "causes food to be much better and moist"

Marketing hype.

However any food overlooked will dry out regardless if you are using dry heat or infrared heat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Untrue
Moist heat cooking methods include any techniques that involve cooking with moisture — whether it's steam, water, stock, wine or some other liquid. Cooking temperatures are much lower, anywhere from 140°F to a maximum of 212°F, because water doesn't get any hotter than that.

Quote "dry heat causes food to dry out". So does over cooking. People have been cooking on "regular" grills for years,both charcoal and gas. I'm thinking marketing hype.
It might be fine inside,where you don't neccessarily want an open flame to cook on. But outside,gimme some flames!

actually, from what I have read, dryness of meat has to do with only one thing - the final temperature to which the meat is cooked.

so, that means it is in fact possible to dry out some meat by boiling it to death - and, as a corollary to dry cook meat and have it turn out quite juicy.

simply put, cook it which every way is appropriate, and cook it properly!

Back