Is it me, the knife, or the sharpener?

I bought myself a Masahiro knife a month ago. Compared to a couple of othe knives that I have, this is the best one. It's incredibly sharp. I can get my humble Victorinox knives razor sharp, but this blade is in another league. It really should when you look at the price. I've looked at Amazon, and I think I got a nice price on it, I paid around half of what the asking price is there. I'm not used to that, living in a hi- cost country.

Wolgast, I can't imagine how you could be dissapointed with a Masahiro.

I've been hearing rumors that Tojiro is changing their line of knives. Korin doesn't seem to be carrying them at the moment.

check out tojiro flash. VG10 core, damascus cladding.

Tojiro has several lines still. Flash is their latest.

Korin has the DP gyutou at the moment; that's it.

I have a Masahiro as well, Geir. The steel used is harder than the steel used by Victorinox as thus will keep and hold a sharper edge. My problem with Victorinox/Forschner (and non-Japanese knives in general) is that the steel is too soft. One can get a good edge but it doesn't last.

Yes, good article.

Yes, good article.

its seemed to validate some of my points.

didn't realize how much softer western steel was. According to that author, he was talking 54-56 on the Rockwell scale.

Yes. When Global was first introduced to the US market in the 80s I was an immediate convert. Till then I had the full complement of Sabatiers, Wusthoffs, Henckels, et al., but the harder steel and thinner profiles hooked me. I have knives from a number of Japanese makers. Occasionally I am in a situation where I'm called upon to cook and don't have my travel kit at hand. Strange to use a European or American knife - and I'm once again reminded why I don't own any.

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
I've an 8-inch Cutco chef's knife. I'm fairly happy with it. We've had it for 25 years and it's been a good tool, but perhaps I'm ready for an upgrade. I just can't seem to keep a good edge on it. I use a ChefsChoice sharpener (probably not the best) and a new diamond edge honing steel. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks all. - G...

Visit this link and don't use any liquid with American made whetstones:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/...ntenance#post_343150

I've found that by not using any liquid (sharpening oil or just plain water) my sknives sharpen to a better much faster and more efficiently. And it's afterwards that the stones are cleaned up sometimes with dutch cleanser and a brass brush and sometimes followed by placing in the dishwasher.

I'm happy to say that this has turned into a very interesting and informative thread for me. thanks again to all. Jeff, I think everyone on the forum should read this as well on Kitchen Knives. Great resource.
For my own future purchase, I'm concerned about some of the japanese knives that have a single bevel. Apparently there's a learning curve here. I'm not sure I want to be working with a combo of two in my kitchen if they handle differently from the standard double-edged knives.

Anyone have any experience with the single-edged gyutou/chef's or santoku knives?
Also, some of the knives are labeled as left or right-handed, but are double edged. So what makes them appropriate for the lefty or righty? The handle?

Yes. (And for me they're more expensive since I'm left-handed. Its what side the bevel is ground that determines left- or right-handed.)

Single bevel means a higher degree of sharpness. There really isn't much of a learning curve required. Their use depends on what you're cutting or slicing. Sharpening is straightforward - unless the back of the edge is concave rather than a chisel grind. In that case there's more to sharpening, as you'd imagine. (The concave side reduces drag.)

I use single bevel knives for fine, thin cutting and slicing. Other than that, and other than those particular knives, all my knives (all Japanese) are beveled both sides (or flat ground, meaning the blade tapers from the spine to the edge on both sides, sometimes called 'unbevelled').

If interested in Japanese knives I'd suggest skipping the single bevel edges at the outset. I don't find it makes a huge difference but for reduced drag, if you wish, you can get santokus or gyutous with granton edges. The higher level of sharpness and longer edge holding of the harder steel Japanese blades are, imo, the operative issues, not whether the blade has a single bevel. Because of my left-handedness, I went a long time without any single bevel blades - many years after moving entirely to Japanese knives. Though I am quite pleased with my single bevel knives, imo, they are not exactly necessary for most of the types of cooking I do. YMMV but I HTH.

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">check out tojiro flash. VG10 core, damascus cladding.
Where to find in the NYC area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You could contact Korin to see if they will be carrying the line or have access. If not, there are on line sources.

To clarify my above post: Japanese knives are often single-beveled. However, some are called 'double bevelled' but are not as one familiar with American or European knives would expect. On these knives the bevel is 70/30 - one side is sharpened more. This is the case with the Masamoto VG line you referenced. On these knives it is possible to adjust the bevel from 70/30 to 50/50 or 30/70. If you are right handed this is not necessary (unless you want a 50/50 edge).

gallery_22252_4789_8009.jpg

Thanks so much Kevin...above and beyond expectations. What would I do without my friends on the TVWBB?

This seems to the appropriate topic for this question.

So what bevel is this "Extreme 16° convex-ground, double-bevel blade (32° comprehensive"

Very funny, j.

Josh-- That is a knife that is beveled equally (50/50; 16? per side, totaling 32?). A convex bevel is one made in an arc, as opposed to a flat bevel. It puts additional thickness behind the edge.

convex2.gif

When I got my Shun's I was pretty sure that was how it was explained, and that's what I thought... but just wanted to make sure.

Back