Is $60 too much to pay for this used 22inch kettle?

I have been looking at buying a used Weber kettle. I was planning on buying one today but it fell though. Anyways, this seller was originally asking $75 which I thought was crazy. I then asked him if $50 worked and he said $60. I even think $50 is probably a bit much but I’m not sure. I see that the condition of the grill is nice with little rust. Seller says he only used it 3-4 times and it shows. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• E86AD6F4-0DEB-47ED-91C4-F30B05BA3368.jpeg
    E86AD6F4-0DEB-47ED-91C4-F30B05BA3368.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 80927F67-4381-4619-A361-6BF61254D0E0.jpeg
    80927F67-4381-4619-A361-6BF61254D0E0.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 57
Seems like a good price to me. I bought a used one the other week for $30 but had to spend time cleaning it up and get a new ash sweep. So my total cost was closer to $60.
The ash sweep is that thing on the bottom with the lever? The grill I went to see today didn’t have one. He was selling it for $20 with a cover, charcoal and it was clean. But it was an 18 inch which I really want a 22. I was going to look past it but once I saw the bottom piece missing, I said no thanks

Update: I just found out it comes with a cover!

Last edited:
Well, a brand new one is about $100 more if you figure in sales tax. As long as the porcelain is still in good shape it sounds ok.
Do you think that I should hold off for a performer/mastertouch? I have a gas spirit 700 that I will use 60-70% of the time. I try to avoid charcoal more because it is more unhealthy but I still love the taste and experience. Anyways, I’m even wondering if a performer/mastertouch is worth it for me. what do you think?

You always seem to give good advice on my posts. Very thankful for the people in this forum.

Update: I just found out it comes with a cover!

Last edited:
Chris, I've kicked around the idea of buying a kettle myself over the years. I grew up eating food made on one and get nostalgic about it every once in a while myself. I've gotten over it every time, I just enjoy the convenience of my Genesis 1000 and really enjoy the way the food tastes coming off of it as well. I remember my Dad telling me that everything I cooked on it would taste like gas. He was wrong, but everything he cooked tasted like the massive amount of lighter fluid he used to start his kettle. It still makes me laugh when I think about it, but I bought him a Genesis Silver B for Christmas in 2002 and he never used his kettle again. He quietly threw it away after it had sat on his patio neglected for a couple years. I Hope you enjoyed the story, but I'm not really the guy to be telling you what charcoal grill to buy.

Chris, I've kicked around the idea of buying a kettle myself over the years. I grew up eating food made on one and get nostalgic about it every once in a while myself. I've gotten over it every time, I just enjoy the convenience of my Genesis 1000 and really enjoy the way the food tastes coming off of it as well. I remember my Dad telling me that everything I cooked on it would taste like gas. He was wrong, but everything he cooked tasted like the massive amount of lighter fluid he used to start his kettle. It still makes me laugh when I think about it, but I bought him a Genesis Silver B for Christmas in 2002 and he never used his kettle again. He quietly threw it away after it had sat on his patio neglected for a couple years. I Hope you enjoyed the story, but I'm not really the guy to be telling you what charcoal grill to buy.
That’s a cool story. Maybe your dad really thought that the grill made the food taste like gas because he was used to the coal? And then when you got him that awesome gift, he got used to it. It’s possible. But I plan to not use light fluid and just use a chimney as I have two. Honestly I think that you just helped me out with that story. I still want a kettle but I am on the same boat as you when it comes to preferring the convince of gas. So it is probably within my best interest to get a Weber kettle that’s cheaper but I would still prefer the 22 inch one over the 18. I’m meeting with the guy this afternoon. He has a Weber cover for it and it is very clean. Can’t wait to grill some chicken legs on it tonight. Got them for 69 cents a pound

60 bucks is reasonable. I wouldn’t hesitate at all. The Master Touch is nice as it has longer legs and the ash catch on the bottom which is convenient as heck. Almost all of mine have it. In fact only four out of about 15 or 16 don’t, oh well there’s my three Smokey Joes so I guess 7 of 15 kettles don’t.

Good luck and….hmm I’m not sure charcoal is drastically more ‘unhealthy’, is it? At any rate, good luck picking up a new toy!

Wait a minute!
I think that looks more like an 18, it only has the single handle on the bowl. 22 would have two!
HOLD OUT for a master touch or a performer. Your patience will be rewarded.
My “Overperformer“ (in the picture on the left) started put as the old one touch platinum without the gas assist ignition and I have not ever felt like I was missing anything but, I’m old.

Wait a minute!
I think that looks more like an 18, it only has the single handle on the bowl. 22 would have two!
HOLD OUT for a master touch or a performer. Your patience will be rewarded.
My “Overperformer“ (in the picture on the left) started put as the old one touch platinum without the gas assist ignition and I have not ever felt like I was missing anything but, I’m old.
I believe the original kettle 22 inch has one handle and the performer has 2. I looked online at a Weber 22 inch original kettle and all of the pictures have one handle

Eventually I would want a performer but for now I’m not too big on charcoal grilling and just want something simple. I love your setup!

I’m assuming this one is OTS? Does this model have that “one touch sweeper” for cleaning and air flow?
Yes, you can see the fin in pic #2 and the ash pan saucer.
But Weber doesent call it a OTS or OTG any more.
You also could tell it by the lid vent orientation to the handle back then.

I believe the original kettle 22 inch has one handle and the performer has 2. I looked online at a Weber 22 inch original kettle and all of the pictures have one handle

Eventually I would want a performer but for now I’m not too big on charcoal grilling and just want something simple. I love your setup!
Interesting, all my 22” kettles have had two handles. Back to my early days. Performers have NO handles, they have the cart.
There are others in the works, a “platypus” remodel and a deck dated rotisserie cart. But, I have a few other irons in the fire just now. Maybe by winter, not in any rush for that.

Interesting, all my 22” kettles have had two handles.
Same with mine.

Found this:

i bought a brand new OTS or "original" kettle, still in box, for $60. and then immediately wished i had an ash catcher. it's not a bad deal, but it's not a great deal either.

Back