Is 4 pounds to small for a boneless picnic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Since only me and my son eat BBQ, I only cook for 2 people. My local store has some netted boneless picnics around 4 lbs. They look like the perfect size for me. Are they too small, I mean will they tend to dry out? One more question. How long can I leave the smoker unattended and not worry about temps. I'm going to have to leave for about 3 hrs during this cook tommorow. What can I do to keep it steady during that time?

Bill, once you get the WSM stable, you can leave for 3hrs no problem. To be honest, I do overnight cooks with 8lb pork butts all the time. Once the WSM temp is stable, I go to bed...like 8hrs or so. A testiment to how well the WSM holds a constant temp.

I dont do boneless butts but I don't think you will have any problems. My grocer sells 4lb bone-in-butts, perhaps you could inquire with the meat manager as to the availability for bone-in!

Good luck and ask away...were here to help!

Bill-

You might want to tie the picnic in a few places with kitchen twine. Without the bone meat falls apart easily.

Bill,

I cut a butt in half and ended up with two 3# pieces (one with bone and one without).

It turned out fine. Actually, I preferred the quicker cooking time and extra bark. See the below links for the threads and pictures:

Cut Butt in half. 3 lbs each, one w/the bone

Cut Butt in Half Results -- WITH PICS!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How long can I leave the smoker unattended and not worry about temps. I'm going to have to leave for about 3 hrs during this cook tommorow. What can I do to keep it steady during that time? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't worry about the WSM holding the temp for three hours once you have it steady. But I would advise against leaving a smoker unattended. Do you at least have a close neighbor who can check in on it while you are gone? You can survive temp spikes, but bad things can happen if it gets knocked over somehow (stranger things have happened).

Be safe.

Kevin,
The butt is netted, so I don't think I should need the extra twine, should I? How does the quicker cooking time make the extra bark? One thing that I am concerned about was the netting. I have a feeling that when I remove the netting I'm going to lose the bark. Any suggestions. ....BTW I'm going to smoke on Friday so I won't have to leave the smoker unattended.......Take it easy.

Bill, at the risk of sounding un-safe...I have left the WSM alone many times. Neighbors will STEAL your BBQ as they are jealous that you know how and they don't. I haven't had any catastrophies yet!! (fingers crossed)

Bill,

I wasn't clear.

Quicker cooking does not equal extra bark.

Cutting a butt in half = more surface area = more bark.

Smaller pieces = quicker cooking.

Sorry for the confusion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill S.:
Kevin,
The butt is netted, so I don't think I should need the extra twine, should I? How does the quicker cooking time make the extra bark? One thing that I am concerned about was the netting. I have a feeling that when I remove the netting I'm going to lose the bark. . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill-
I meant that you might want to remove the net and replace it with twine. Rubs (especially when fairly heavily applied--my preference) will stick to the netting easily and you'll be losing bark when you remove it. Tie it instead in 3 or 4 places. If you don't have kitchen twine cut the net crosswise cutting 3 or 4 narrow rings, then cut each of those so you end up with strips and tie with those.

I'm relatively new at this ... but, I agree with Kevin. I'd remove the netting and use the twine.

Also, since it is so small and the only thing in the WSM, I'd suggest placing the meat on the lower rack (but, you probably already knew that)where the temps run just a bit cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back