is 1/2 a pork butt as good as a whole?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

at 99 cents a lb I wanted to buy a couple butts, but they are cut in half and I wasn't sure if that would change the final product in the WSM or not? Anyone have any tips or advice on this. Or would nothing be different?

Brian
You can cut it in half but expect the butt to done in half the time, it will be faster but connective tissues take time to break down.
Doing a whole one and freezing the remainder is a good way to handle cooking a whole pork butt.
Jim

Actually Jim...they are sold already cut in half..my question is, does it make a difference or not..i suppose I would buy two or three half butts.. sounds like it doesn't matter though.

I should have read the whole post. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
What was the total weight?
Jim

I got your post after I got back from shopping...but I was thinking like you and realized they were underweight to be whole butts. I asked the guy if they cut them and he said yes..he went back and got me an unopened package of two whole butts (perfect to freeze). 99c lb seemed like a great deal to me after eating loose meat BBQ sandwiches for the last two days on my first Butt Q. Looking forward to trying new rubs and mops in search of the perfect butt.

I usually prefer to cook 6-8 lb. butts. The looong slow cooking time seems to add something to the quality of the end product (this could very well be my imagination). On the other hand, cooking 2-3 smaller butt chunks results in more bark. It's pretty much win/win. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I'll be hitting Stater's tomorrow for some of those .99/lb butts. It's gonna be a good weekend.

I got a couple of those 99 cent specials about a month ago, they were about 4 - 4 1/2 pounds each. Cooked them to 190 and they were delicious.

Sure, sure - rub it in!!! Rub it in that those of us in NYC have to pay $1.78/lb for butts, and that's only if we go to Costco and buy a CASE!!!

Grrrrrr.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back