Intro and a basic question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Good day,

My name is Michael and I'm new here. I've had a Weber gas grill for a while now and I love it. Lately I've started to think that there's something more, something I'm missing.

Ribs.
Smoked chicken.

I think you know what I'm getting at.

I started looking around to learn about BBQ and landed here. I love what I'm learning from reading this list and other web sites, but I need to start at the very beginning. I haven't even bought my smoker BBQ yet.

So, with your kind permission, I'd like to ask a series of questions over the next few days and weeks to start learning what I don't know.

First up is smoke. I've been adding mesquite or hickory chips to a smoke box in my grill for a while now, perhaps a cup or so per grill session. When the wood ignites, there's flames and lots of smoke and heat. Here's my question: after the flames die down, am I still getting smoke from the wood, even though I can't see any? Am I still getting smoke flavor into my BBQ or is the game over? I've read that the pros don't even use wood that they haven't pre-burned yet.

Thanks for your time. Good Q to all.
Michael

Hi Michael, yes you are. After the initial burn the smoke quits rolling out and one might see just a faint line of smoke. I usually have some of the wood chuncks left even after a sixteen hour burn.
Good luck!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Chach

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">am I still getting smoke from the wood, even though I can't see any? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep--you are.

Many people soak chips so that they don't burst into flame thus prolonging their 'life'. When I use pellets I pack them in a foil pouch and make a small hole in it. They last longer that way too. Mostly I use chunks of wood. When I cook on an open pit and use wood for fuel, I pre-burn to get the wood to the coal stage. Then I'm not dealing with leaping flames and dark smoke.

Welcome to the board, Michael. (Now git you a WSM!)

Welcome Michael!

What does your nose tell you? See if you can smell the smoke even though it might be "invisible". It's working!

I love the smell of well-burned hickory.

I tend to cook things with fairly strong smells. I can't usually smell smoke but I know the wood's burning, or at least wicked hot as it's redish.

Also, I cook by smell. I'm trying to smell whether the steak, veggies, fish etc. is done. I've never tried to smell for smoke. That's a great suggestion. I'll do that next time.

By the time I finish cooking and put the beast away, the wood is just ash, or at least small flakes of burned wood (I'd be hard pressed to give a good description, sorry). I'm not smoking with chunks though. I have wood chips.

Welcome Michael,

You will learn a lot here and you will also find that the folks here will answer any question - no matter how basic or simple. They helped me tremendously and still are giving me ideas.

Best advice you can get came from Kevin Kruger - get a WSM ASAP.

Ray

Welcome Michael!

If you're like me, I like to see some smoke for a while. I do the foil thing with pellets also. Anything to keep the O2 away from the chips so they don't flame.

Loren

What quality is the smoke from flaming wood versus wood that has flamed out?

I have read that some people only use pre-burned wood. Do I get a better taste in my meat from the wood once the flames have died down? Does smoke from flaming wood product a worse taste in the finished product?

Back