Interesting Lobster

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
We have a favorite seafood place not too far from our beach house. We only go in the off season...way too crowded in summer. It's called The Lobster House and it's located just as you enter Cape May, NJ. Had a great dinner there tonight. But I've walked past this guy dozens of times but just took a close look tonight.
It's a 37+ pound lobster that was caught by one of the many commercial vessels out of Cape May.
Caught back in 1985 off the George's Bank.
1000010152.jpg

Wow that was a big one. There was an Army-Navy surplus / dive shop (yeah odd combination) on Moody St in Waltham, MA back in the 60's and 70's. I remember them having a similar sized lobster on display. As a kid, I thought the thing was crazy enormous.

I used to dive for lobster in Southern California around San Diego and the Channel Islands.
I’ve caught some huge ones but they were no where near that weight.
We are not allowed to use any tools (like tickle sticks) at all just hands.
I’ve seen some monsters in the back of larges rocks out of reaching distance that were about 36” long and might have weighed 20 lbs.

We call them bugs because they look like they’re related to scorpions or something like that.
In my opinion are really just creepy crawlers that live under water.
No more no less.

Our spiny lobsters weigh a lot less than the North Eastern lobster due to not having those big claws.
They have no claws for defense but instead have monster sized tails for evasion swimming.

People sometimes say that old lobsters are tough meat wise.
I find that low and slow with a bunch of butter/garlic mop makes them all tender and tasty 😋.

Last edited:
The Lobster House is great. I go every time I'm back in Jersey. (y)
There are some that call it a tourist trap but we've had a house in Avalon for 15 years and have yet to find a better seafood restaurant in Cape May County. Few realize it's part of an entire seafood business starting with commercial fishing and lobster boats, a seafood processing plant, a wholesale seafood distribution company and of course the retail restaurant, coffee shop and the huge seafood market. Not everything is fresh caught (shrimp for example) but much of it is.

Back