Install hinge and gasket on new Performer lid?

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm restoring a Performer with a new lid. Should I take the opportunity to install a lid gasket while everything is clean? If so, which one?

My original lid bail is bent and the plastic rollers are melted. A new one is about $45 shipped. For an extra few bucks, I could buy a hinge. I really like the hinge on my S6. Should I install a hinge instead? Which one?

You’d want to close up the three holes from the old lid bail if you go the hinge route. Something to consider…

Can't tell you what to do Mack, just what I would do. On a Performer, I would not want a hinge because the newer style bail works so well. The felt gasket that is 1/4" wide makes a wonderful difference to the lid fit. It makes closing the lid sound like closing a fine car door, not a clanging sound. I think I used 'Lava Loc Fire' or something like that from Amazon. When you get it all done be sure to take pics, we would love to see it.

I use Lavaloc felt gaskets on all of my kettles and it makes a world of difference in heat and smoke retention as well as the closing sound as Colin said

Back