Injectors?

Jeff Rushe

TVWBB Member
sorry for what may sound like a strange question here, but this is an issue I've kind of been torn over since I started with my WSM 3 years ago.

...those flavor injectors.

At first I didn't see the point and thought of them as a novelty...is it really necessary?? Do you even notice a difference? I'd just stick to my marinates, and let the beauty of the wood/coal do the rest.

Lately, after gaining some experience with my WSM and the whole BBQ'ing process, I've been wanting to give it a shot.

I've got some chickens going this weekend...which if I decide to go the injector route there would be limitless variations of flavors I could work with.

But on the other hand...does it really make a difference?? Or is it just going to overpower the flavor? (obviously that depends on what ingredients you use)

As always...I appreciate this boards insight!

When you don't have time to marinade and it's something that you think needs an extra flavor kick, I think injectors are okay. Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between a good rub and an injection on smoked meat, since whatever makes up the rub will work its way through the meat. However, on the grill, I've had good results by injecting pork loin and chickens when they weren't marinaded. I think injecting goes better with grilling or roasting than smoking.

If I have time I usually inject thicker cuts (butts, packers, etc.)

It's no secret, in winning several 1st place awards for pork at Memphis in May, Chris Lilly injects his pork butts.

Does it make a difference. If done right, in my opinion, yes. Try it yourself, cooking two pieces of meat one injected and the other not injected.

Also, add rub to your injection recipe.

John

Interesting post; can one Inject a brisket or is the cut too lean to accept the liquid? I'm doing a brisket this weekend and may give it a shot.

I have injected the butts with Worshire, but only if your not going to slice them. If you do it and slice they tend to have pockets of dark meat and look as if they are piece that are spoiled.

Seems to me that I saw someone raving about his brisket that he injected with a recipe from one of Ray Lampe's books.

You want to be careful not to inject light colored meat (pork lion, chicken) with a dark colored liquid or you get ugly needle tracks etc.

Thanks For putting that in better words. I also tried injecting a turkey before deep frying and all it did was burn everywhere I stuck the needle. By opening up the skin all the moisture came out and made it dry.

Back