Injecting Butts w/ apple juice

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
are you guys big into this? I saw some cooking shows and most of the teams were injecting for flavor and moisture. Does it really work that well on pork butts? do most of you inject? If so, what?

I just got an injector last week and have so far used it for smoking a whole chicken.

Here's the home made injector marinade that I used for the chicken:

Rusty's Injector Marinade

1 TBS Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Rub*
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup marsalla wine
1 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS BBQ Sauce
1 TBS Olive Oil

Mix Well.

*Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Rub (mix well)
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
1 Tbs granulated garlic
1 Tbs granulated onion
2 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper (this is cut in half from the original recipe in Dr. BBQ's cookbook)
1 Tbs dried thyme
1 Tbs ground cumin
1 tsp ground nutmeg

I smoked the chicken at 350F with hickory until the internal thigh temperature was 180F.

My family couldn't get enough of it. The chicken was as juicy as brining, but not as salty.

Here's cut and paste from a previous string...Do a search on Chris Lilly injection and you get tons of info.

Here is the Chris Lilly injection recipe:
1 1/2 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt
4 tbsp worcestershier sauce

I'll do some searches this weekend when i have more time as my interest right now is finding out whether this process really makes a big difference and not as much about what to inject with. My butts have generally been very juicy and tender, so i'm not sure how well injecting works or what it does.

Big difference? Depends on what's in it and who you ask. I've never met an injected butt I liked at all. Imo, injection is wholly unnecessary in terms of tenderness, as you point out, Davidd; in terms of flavor, what injecting butts does is add them at the beginning where they cook (or not) and bind with each other (or not) during the smoking process. It is far better, in my opinion, to add to or adjust after cooking, resting and pulling as one has far greater control over the end result.

That said, there are quite a few competitors who use it, but competitors are trying to make their submission resonate with judges' palates in a bite or two--in a field of other competitor's submissions--and so make choices in terms of procedures and ingredients that they feel will facilitate this.

In my opinion it's overkill, competition or not, quite frankly.

I agree with Kevin. Done it both ways and don't see any point in injecting. If you want a little apple flavour try spraying with the apple juice the last two or three hours of the cook.

Back