Injected Spares

I picked up some Hormel Spareribs yesterday and noticed when I got home that they were injected with a 20% solution...
icon_frown.gif
bummer...

So, if I mix up a batch of rub and leave out the salt, can these be salvaged? Ham on a stick ain't exactly what I was lookin' for...
icon_confused.gif

IMO if you leave out the salt the ribs should be fine. Others here use Hormel BB's and like them alot. Personally I havent tried them...yet.

When smoking chicken I always forget its usually in brine and add my normal rub, its always salty so by leaving it out you sould do okay. Let us know how they turn out.

Tom, I have two ideas.
#1 why not rinse thoroughly (like you would do for poultry in brine) then do as you normally would.

#2 Steven Raichlen uses a very simple marinade.
Perhaps do #1, then marinade in the following for 4 to 6 hours.

6 cups apple cider
4 squeezed lemons

Hate to admit it but my family says Raichlens ribs are the best I've made. This marinade has a lot to do with it. Good luck.

Haven't done 'em yet, but they're going on tonight.

One fairly experienced cooker on the TexasBBQRub site said that the Hormel pumped ribs were his favorite spares to cook. He says all he does is slather on some yellow mustard and a light dusting of Head Country rub.

Well... since these were on sale, and I'm an adventurous soul, I'm gonna give 'em a go. Got some Head Country last week.

I've never cooked spares that I've been happy with, but all I've had are those Swift spares from Sam's. Way too much fat for my liking...

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW, I complained to Hormel about a tenderloin that I got at a local grocery. When I opened the pkg, the odor was off the chart. It was $6.99. They sent me $10 worth of coupons. That's pretty good customer svc in my book.

I dont like the pre brined ribs either. They are OK to eat, but I find that they are just like Tom says, ham on a stick.

Ham on a stick. Brilliant!
Good one Tom.

Well, I cut a rack in half last night and did them two different ways...

First was slathered with mustard and dusted lightly with Head Country rub.

Second was slathered with mustard and dusted with the BRITU rub with NO salt whatsoever.

Both sat in the fridge less than an hour while I got the WSM fired up and prepped a butt.

Both were done with a modified 3-2-1 method (I did 3.5-1.5-1).

The ribs with the Head Country Rub was definitely ham on a stick.

The ribs with the no-salt BRITU were the best spares I've ever done.

These Hormel ribs were pre-cut to St. Louis style and very meaty, with much less fat than I've encounted in any other spares I've cooked, which have all be the Swift spares from Sam's.

Anyway, I'd definitely do this again, just not with a rub with any salt in it.

Back