Initial Stoker Experience.

Gerd H

TVWBB Super Fan
I ordered a Stoker from Rock's a few weeks ago. When I ordered, they advised me a portion of my order would not be in until later the next week. The duration between the time I placed the order to the day it was delivered was 17 days.

I will use the stoker for both home cooks on my WSM22 as well as competiton cooking running multiple smokers. For now, I only ordered a single cooker set up with the intent to add additional fans and probes as needed.

Prior to receiving the stoker, I downloaded the stoker manual, Amir's stokerlog software, and Rock's internet configuration pdf. I scanned the documents for a few minutes, and installed stokerlog to become vaguely familiar with how they will work. I also ordered a MadCatz wireless gaming adapter with the intent of hooking the stoker up to it for wireless connectivity while at home. I read the WGA pdf file to become familiar with the manual setup process since my network is not WPA.

The day the stoker arrived, I fired up the WGA and configured it to act as a bridge on my home network. This took 5 minutes because I miskeyed the last octet of the IP address when connecting to the WGA during setup.

I then powered up the stoker, connected it to the WGA, and plugged in the pit probe and fan.
I located the stoker on my home wireless network to validate what IP address it was using and to note it's MAC. This took 5 minutes.

I launched stokerlog, connected to the stoker over wireless, and renamed the pit probe. I set target temps, watched the fan kick on, and set target temps to make sure it turned off. I played with this for about 5 minutes. Stoker log did throw up an exception error at one point, but I can not recall the circumstance and I don't think the program even ABENDed.

Lastly, I configured my router to forward internet traffic to the stoker, and confirmed that I could reach the stoker from both my phone and a computer outside the LAN. This took 5 minutes.

I have NOT:
- Attached the stoker blower to the cooker
- Validated the wireless signal will reach to where I cook (I am sure it will)
- Cooked anything
- Set up email or twitter alerts
- Figured out how to include the target temp on the stokerlog graph (I must be missing something obvious)

My ONLY question so far is, does the blower baffle always make the faint clanking noise when the fan is on?

Mine does. Makes my dogs ears perk up when it turns on, but since her nose is already in the air smelling what's cooking... it's hardly noticable
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
I ordered a Stoker from Rock's a few weeks ago. When I ordered, they advised me a portion of my order would not be in until later the next week. The duration between the time I placed the order to the day it was delivered was 17 days.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the New World, Mr. Columbus!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vincent Carrocci:

Welcome to the New World, Mr. Columbus! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I lol'ed!

Back