Infrared Rotisserie Burner Advice?

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi. Anybody have any good advice or resources regarding how to cook with the infrared rotisserie burner that comes with the Weber Summits?

I've had mine for a little over 3 years. Haven't really found any good discussion of it online. May not be searching in the right places.

Been fumbling along by trial and error but can't honestly say I've figured out what I'm doing right or wrong with it yet.

Thanks.
---Rob

Can't really say I have any real problems. Just not really confident when I'm using it.

First time I tried using it I thought I'd leave the burner on whole cook. Two chickens. Came back at the 40 minute mark as I recall and had burned them pretty badly.

Been fooling around with High heat/medium heat. Turn on in the beginning . Turn on toward the end. Still feel pretty lost by the trial and error. Either rubbery or burnt. Had kind of given up and just been doing beer butt for a while.

Infrared and rotisserie are nice tools though. Was kind of hoping for some general guidelines of when to use it and how. In case anyone has figured out more than I have.

One thing I've used it for is cooking pizzas "brick oven style" in 2-3min tops. I've seen a lot of techniques on here where people will raise their pizza stones up off the grates to get them closer to the radiant heat that is reflected off of the top of the lid, but with the IR burner on the Summit that serves the same purpose because the IR kicks out a lot of heat. It's not super even because the burner is towards the upper rear corner of the lid, but still seems to work pretty well.

One thing I've used it for is cooking pizzas "brick oven style" in 2-3min tops. I've seen a lot of techniques on here where people will raise their pizza stones up off the grates to get them closer to the radiant heat that is reflected off of the top of the lid, but with the IR burner on the Summit that serves the same purpose because the IR kicks out a lot of heat. It's not super even because the burner is towards the upper rear corner of the lid, but still seems to work pretty well.

Neat idea. I'm going to give that a try.

I've tried the Weber recipe books but I haven't found anything that calls out instructions for the infra burner....

Burned after 40 minutes? I have a 670 and a Summit grill center. I've never had that problem. I put the roto on high and then use the outside burners to adjust the temp. When the lid thermometer says 350, I put the bird(s) on for 90 minutes. I put oil on the bird and then put a rub ontop of that.

The+grill.jpg

Thanks. It's been a couple of years since that first cook. I don't remember the exact timings only that the bird was a long way from cooked and the skin was charred.

One thing you pointed out: I generally do my birds higher heat. For whatever reason never tried high heat on the infa and dropping lid temp down to 350.

Appreciate the idea.

Glad to help a fellow Long Islander.

I forgot to add that I put some butter, rosemary, and thyme in the cavity for flavor.

Last edited:
I've done a couple of chickens just about like Peter did with no problems, although
I did not go FULL HI until the last 15 minutes or so.

Hope that helps.

Back