Induction burner

D, thanks for the good explanation and overview of induction cooking.

My question was about the size of the area of the pan that is actually heated by the induction burner---the diameter of the "coil" or whatever is underneath the surface of the burner. My concern is about using a 12-inch skillet over a heat source that might be equal to only the small burner of a gas stove.

It seems to me more likely an issue of the pan than the hob. Try using a different pan. What is the composition of your 12-inch?

I don't recall ever using a large skillet over a small hob--really, over any size hob--but that's because I dislike hands-on cooking on induction. I have, however noticed differences in heating among different pans/pots.

Kevin, your point about not doing hands-on cooking on a unit like this makes sense, unless one is using a small skillet.

I thought it might be my skillet too, so I experimented with an All-Clad stainless 12-inch skillet (aluminum sandwich), an All-Clad stainless nonstick skillet, and also an 8-quart stainless stockpot (same composition, different brand). The pattern of the bubbles remained the same in all 3 pans, about a 4-inch diameter in the center of the pan.

A 10-inch pan heated more evenly, although a little light in the outer 1 or 2 inches.

I'm interested to see if this is a common configuration for all the portable induction burners or if the pricier units have a larger heating area. I have access to a Viking at an appliance store and will take my pans there to test it tomorrow.

As an aside, I wonder if the heating area on the installed cooktops is wider.

I don't like cooking on induction cooktops either. I find nearly everything about them a PITA. A single burner is nice (imo) for keeping something hot, maybe reducing, reheating, boiling water for pasta, etc., but for sautéing, nope, not a fan. (Maybe frying or deep-frying--but I don't do much of either.) For me, much of it comes down to years of experience in knowing and working with the interplay between flame and pan; not being at all interested in surfaces that scratch, cooking on them anyway; not wanting to use S/S pans (I really prefer anodized aluminum or copper--though I cook with S/S on the road often, much to my dismay); not wanting to employ utensils when hand tossing/flipping is so much quicker.

High end cooktops have no hobs--the entire top is a hob. Sensors determine pan size and shape and the nodes under the pan fire up.

Try an unenamelled CI pan or pot and see what happens. If that works it's the other pans/pots. If it doesn't then my guess is lack of power in the unit.

Note this that I discovered on a forum: Another difference between gas and electric cooking when boiling pasta is that over a gas burner, the water boils up from the side toward the center while with electric elements, including induction, the boiling is more across the bottom and usually gives a pattern of boiling from the middle of the pan toward the outside because the heat is going into the bottom of the pan, not moving across the bottom and up the side. You can check this by heating a pan of water using electricity and gas. While the pan is heating, hold your hands close to the side of the pan, palms down and note the difference in the amount of heat coming up the side of the pan.

Perhaps it is as simple as that.

Try an unenamelled CI pan or pot and see what happens. If that works it's the other pans/pots. If it doesn't then my guess is lack of power in the unit.
Thanks, Kevin. I get exactly the same results with a large cast-iron pan as with the stainless/aluminum. So it must be the lack of power.

I'd say 10-inch pans would work pretty well on this old unit that I have. Maybe the spread on the newer units has improved. The only one I have access to is the pricey Viking and I'll check it out, if only for comparison.

If the forum poster is correct, however, it is simply a process difference. Have you temped within the 'circle' and outside of it?

I don't have an infrared thermometer, but I did slice a potato thickly with my mandoline so all the slices would be uniform, oiled them, and arranged them in the 12-inch stainless pan. At the point when the ones in the center browned, the outer ring of potatoes remained almost colorless.

Back