Indirect and smoke

DVuong

I purchased a q320 a few weeks ago and have been in love with it. We upgraded from a 120 after encoding we wanted a larger cooking area. However, now I am realizing some of its limitations on using it as a smoker since it has a tendency to burn hot. I've been doing some reading around the forums and I can understand I can cook indirectly with the middle burner on the lowest setting with the meat cooking over doubled foil and rack. Would anyone be able to guide me on how I can create a smoky flavor using wood chips? Since there are no flavorizer bars I'm not too sure where I should place the chips. Soak or to soak? Also, I have seen some recommendations of putting a water pan in the grill to produce moisture. Is that necessary? I'm thinking of trying some ribs or brisket.

Thanks!

Just place them in foil pouch on grate above the lit area of the burner. Works just fine I do it all the time. BTW leave the center burner off.

Just place them in foil pouch on grate above the lit area of the burner. Works just fine I do it all the time. BTW leave the center burner off.

What he said. I use BBQrs Delight pellets in a tinfoil pouch on the hot part of the grill, put the food in the center with that burner turned off.

What they said :cool:.

But you'll never get true "smokey" BBQ from a gasser.........if you want to step up, get a dedicated smoker like the WSM. If a hint of smokiness is what you're after, the above mentioned method works fine.

Also to improve your indirect setup, get a Weber trivet if possible or something similar like a cooling rack to "lift" the food slightly off the foil. And yes........ middle burner OFF in most cases.

91143.jpg

Last edited:
What they said :cool:.

But you'll never get true "smokey" BBQ from a gasser.........if you want to step up, get a dedicated smoker like the WSM. If a hint of smokiness is what you're after, the above mentioned method works fine.

Also to improve your indirect setup, get a Weber trivet if possible or something similar like a cooling rack to "lift" the food slightly off the foil. And yes........ middle burner OFF in most cases.

91143.jpg

Welp, I just put Turkey on the Weber Q to my "BBQ Bucket List"! How was it? Amazing? Please tell me it was amazing...

Back