Indian Flavors

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
(Not sure of the best forum to put this in)

My wife and I had the privilege of attending a traditional Indian wedding in Tampa the last few days. For three days, we at almost nothing but Indian food. I had only had it a handful of times prior to this weekend, but I found myself really enjoying the flavors. While the food was all vegetarian, my thoughts all weekend were around how I can incorporate some of these flavors into grilling. I have a Raichlan book that I need to get back into (I think there are a lot of international recipes in there). But I was wondering if anyone else here enjoys Indian food and how you've incorporated it into your cooking. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

I love Indian food, and I consider it one of the few cuisines that I will indeed leave to the locals. There are as many curries as families in India, and those recipes are tighly guarded from generation to generation. Mastering Basmati Rice is the first challenge, and then once that has been accomplished, it is all up hill from there.

I'm not much of an expert, but I've made some curries and this recipe. Angry Chicken is a great place to start and also use your Weber. Roasted curried cauliflower is another. That's the extent of my knowledge, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Jon: We had a ton of cauliflower over the weekend, and I couldn't believe how good some of it was. I'll try that Angry Chicken - it sounds good.

Jim,

Glad you enjoyed the wedding. Did you walk behind the white horse? I did when my wife and I attended a traditional Indian wedding in New Delhi. It was a week long affair and we had a ball.

AS to the Indian food, I can recommend many of the curry powders sold by Penzey's. I have 5 from them and another 4 or 5 from other places.

I recomment that you buy a cook book and experiment. Or you can "google" and get all kinds of recipes. Many recipes will call for ingredients that you may not have on hand, but I have found that I can usually find recipes that I can make with the stuff I have on hand.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Ray

Jim,

I decided to share on of my recipes with you. By the way, all Indians are not vegetarians. Many consume fish and poultry. This recipe for Butter Chicken is absolutely wonderful. You may not have cury leaves but can use bay leaves (I grow my own curry leaves in a pot). Only other ingredients you may not have are the cardamom pods and fenugreek. You can order them online od get them at an Indian market.

Enjoy.

Ray

Indian Butter Chicken

Chicken
2 ½ to 3 lbs of chicken (boneless and skinned)
dry rub or marinade of your choice

Marinate chicken for a few hours, and then apply other seasonings or rub of your choice. Grill chicken until just barely done (it will cook more in the sauce).

Cut chicken into serving size pieces (about 1 ½ inches) and reserve (this can even be done the day ahead and refrigerated).

Note : Some recipes call for Tandoori Chicken but I prefer my own grilled chicken.

Butter Cream Sauce
2 TBS butter
2 or 3 curry leaves
2 bay leaves
2 black cardamom pods – lightly crushed
7 or 8 green cardamom pods – lightly crushed
1 stick cinnamon
10-12 whole cloves
4 cloves chopped garlic
8 quarter size pieces of fresh ginger
2 green Serrano chile peppers – chopped
1 large can whole tomatoes (28 ounce) and 1 small can whole tomatoes (14 ounce)
1 TSP paprika
½ TSP ground nutmeg
1 TSP salt
1 TSP fenugreek seeds – toasted and ground
2 ½ cups liquid (reserved tomato juice plus water as necessary)
1 cup heavy cream
2 TBS butter at room temperature

1. Drain juices from tomatoes into a large measuring cup and reserve. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
2. Heat 2 TBS butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook and stir the curry leaves, bay leaves cinnamon, cloves, cardamom pods, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
3. Add chopped tomatoes, nutmeg, paprika, and water / juice. Bring to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tomatoes are soft and volume has reduced by about half (25 to 30 minutes). Stir occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pass through a food mill and discard the solids. Return the sauce to the pan, add salt and toasted fenugreek, and cook over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, stirring as needed. Use a “splatter guard” to help contain the sauce.
5. Add cream and simmer over low heat for another 5 minutes, then swirl in the 2 TBS of room temperature butter.

Assembly
Chicken (from above)
Sauce (from above)
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 piece (1 inch) of fresh ginger (peeled, sliced, and cut into matchstick size pieces)
2 Serrano chili peppers – cut off tops, slice into quarters lengthwise, and remove seeds

1. Add chicken to sauce and cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
2. While sauce and chicken mixture is simmering, heat oil in small saucepan and cook chili peppers and ginger until tender – 3 or 4 minutes.
3. When sauce is ready, add the peppers and ginger, mix well and serve hot.

Note: This is great over rice.

I cook Indian food every day for one of my clients. I also cook 'regular' food - with an Indian twist. The flavors (and their combinations) in Ray's recipe above (ginger, garlic, curry leaves, fenugreek, cardamom, chilies, tomato) are typical. In addition, think coconut, tamarind, kefir lime leaves, saffron, et al.

I use many of these in Q sauces and/or rubs. And Indian side dishes (like many of the dals) work well for barbecue meals.

I love Indian food. Everytime I make it though it just doesn't come out the way I'm expecting. Ray I am going to try that Butter Chicken recipe though. Great thread.

Back