In praise of the Forschner slicing knife

I just put in an order for the 8" chef's knife. If I like it maybe I'll splurge and get the slicer later.

Brandon

Both of those sites have a funny way of selling them. One has it listed about $12 cheaper, but with shipping charges to my home, it adds $13 onto the total price.

The other is a bit more expensive, but shipping is only $5. So all in all they come out the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Ok, that did it. Couldn't hold out any longer. Just ordered a 14".

webstaurant </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a follow up that Webstaurant had the knife to me so quickly that I was able to take it on vacation. Great knife!! The 14" intimidated some but not me! Money well spent and a great value.

I have 3 Forschner knives and I like them all. I've been on the look out for a 12 inch slicer to add to my collection.

I came across a knife made by Update International at a local restaurant supply store.

It's a 12 inch slicer, price was about $9.00 and change.

I sharpen my own knives by putting a double edge on the blade using two stones and finishing with a steel. My test of sharpness is the arm shave test. If the knife can easily pop off arm hairs - then it's done.

I bought the Update International thinking that it was a cheap knife and that I would need to put an edge on that I'm used to.

I was very surprised that it already had a decent edge. A few strokes on the steel finished it off.

I helped a friend yesterday with a big barbeque where I used it to cut multiple tri tips.

Today the knife just needed a few strokes on the steel to get that razor edge back.

Hard to beat this deal at about $9.00. It looks like Update International sells mainly to the food industry.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/update-international/kp-07/p9062.aspx

John

I've been using the Forschner knives that come with the block set (stamped) for about two weeks now.

It's a pleasure to use these knives...kudos to the VWBB for cluing me in to them.

I finally got around to pulling the trigger on one of these. Man, my knife magnet is getting full. I'm going to have to start donating my other knives to family.

Back