Impressive results with the DigiQ DX

M. Chesney

TVWBB Fan
Had the digiQ for a while and used it for the first time on a high smoke on the WSM. I did a prime rib and wanted the temp to hold at 300 degrees. I started the WSM when using an ATC like I normally do, simi-minion method and after an hour, the guru had the WSM right at 300. I used standard kingsford charcoal and filled it to the near brim and did not have to add fuel. After 3 hours I pulled it off when the meat temp probe read 130 degrees and finished it up with a 5 minute sear in placing the top grate over the charcoal ring. Once I pulled it off to rest, I closed the top vent (it was at 50 during the cook) and put the stop plug on the guru WSM adapter. Noticed this morning after I cleaned the grill that I had at least half the charcoal remaining. On top of that I did all of this after 5 inches of snow.

DigiQ in action.
[IMG:left]
92851bc8.jpg

The results
c8da1bda.jpg

Can't wait to do it again.

Mike

The DigiQ really is an amazing product and I'm so glad I pulled the trigger on one. I can't wait to try a high heat cook. Prime rib happens to be my favorite cut of meat. Sure would enjoy seeing your pics of the cook and final product. Your post says the images have been deleted. FYI - Weber's Real Grilling book has an excellent recipe for prime rib on pg.104 We cook it at all of the major holidays and it is FANTASTIC!

Can see the pics now. Amazing job! The color on that roast is phenomenal. What type of seasoning did you apply?

Todd-

I make my own rub/paste. I like using doret cubed crushed garlic cubes x3 which I get at trader joes and mix it with olive oil, then add in the following: 2 Tbls of crushed rosemary, 1 Tbls of kosher salt, 1 Tbls of coarse ground pepper and crushed 1 Tbls of basil. It came out fantastic, no left overs unfortunately.

Glad the photos finally came through, had some difficulty loading it directly from my iPad.

Back