Im not putting this part back on my resto unless u make me!

Of course, simply replacing it would be the easiest option. I don't know if a heat gun has enough poop to heat a piece of plastic of that size in a timely manner...it may require some time in a toaster or wall oven...but the same forces that caused it to distort should also work to restore its shape.
I would think a combination of extreme heat and extreme pressure over an extended period of time should do it.

You can practice on an empty milk container...same stuff, according to Weber

Why not take the slat out and turn it upside down in place and heat up the grill? Then when the grill is hot press it back down?

Why not take the slat out and turn it upside down in place and heat up the grill? Then when the grill is hot press it back down?
That would work, but the problem is that you have to hold it in the desired position while it cools. I heat and bend plastic all the time...I have a little 300W hot air gun that works well for the small stuff, and also the 1500W Ace Hardware hot air gun that I use for larger stuff like bending/forming PVC pipe. The trick is to get it into the shape you want and hold it there until it cools.

Here is some PVC pipe I formed for making a quadcopter. These are the arms that mount the motors. Just heat it up and form it.

20211125_111039.png

Last edited:
Brick? Cinder block?
Gravity pulls it down if it's evenly heated. You need something underneath it to support it when it sags, and also something to get it and then keep it straight while it cools. A block of plastic like that will take a while to heat up evenly...a hot air gun may not be enough, I dunno...it's like working with taffy when you get the right temp.

Last edited:
Why not use an inverter flavorizer bar or two as a form to hold its shape. And then simply use the grill on a low setting to provide the heat. You can then let it “rest” in the grill.

Edit: I would do this on the grates, not down low where the flavorizer bars normally sit.

Gerry

Last edited:

Back