I'm a Sandman now !

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Did my first smoke with 1/3 sand and it worked out just dandy. Was a bit apprehensive about moisture (or lack there of), however the butt was perfect and the brisket came out good. Brisket was a tad bit dry around the edges, but I think the piece was a bit too lean. Probably should have either foiled it or basted more.

In either event, that sand held 230 for 5 hours straight, until I started messing witht the wood, then it skyrocketed, but settled.

Cleanup is much easier too. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My very first cook on my new WSM was with sand in the water pan and I was extremely pleased with the pork butt I cooked. Am gonna try a brisket in a couple hours with same technique. Will put a small aluminum pan on top of the aluminum covered sand in the water pan to catch drippings coming from the brisket sitting above. Then when I am done with the cook I will pour the pan drippings over the top of the brisket then slice for added moisture. I thought about directly cooking the brisket in a large aluminum pan in my WSM but another poster said it might have the texture of pot roast so abandoned that idea.

Danny Hardesty

When I did my 1st cook with sand I did a brisket on the lower shelf and a butt on the top. The temp remained constant thru-out the cook until near the end. Close as I can figure is that when the meat and sand were at the same temp, the sand started to heat more. With water the temperature goes to boiling point and thats all. The end result is that the brisket was slightly over cooked and the butt just right. It is nicer for cleanup but until I try the water again and compare notes, I am going to stay away from the sand. Just my 2 cents. And you know what you get for 2 cents these days.

Jim,
I had the same experience with my brisket flat using sand in the water pan. While the pork butt I cooked was very moist, the brisket flat was only moist in the middle with the ends coming in dry, although the entire brisket was fall apart tender after 9 hours on the WSM.

Next time I smoke a brisket I will use the water pan filled with water and see if that makes any difference in the moistness of the meat.

Danny Hardesty

I filled the bottom of my water pan with broken ceramic floor tiles, then covered them with sand. I have had nothing but good luck with this method. Besides, I don't know anybody that likes to deal with the clean up of the greasy-water mess you end up with using water in the pan. I will never go back to water again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back