I wonder what will happen

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well (thank heaven) we just had a line of pretty powerful thunder storms roll through here. Heavy (but brief) rain, and so on. Honestly could use a few more. But than aside
My nextdoor neighbor/friend is who ended up getting the original Z Grill Sam's sent me that was damaged in shipping. We both used them last night. I covered, he did not.
Not sure how water resistant the control panel is or the hopper. FWIW I took the time to felt gasket mine (hopper lid), but I did not on that one. I sure hope he doesn't end up with a pellet "brick" in there. I also had taken the time to run a bead of high temp black silicone around the upper edge of the rear vent specifically to keep water out from that area. I did this on both. We shall see...............

Spot on Larry. I make sure my Camp Chef is always covered when not in use as I know that electronics and water don't get along. We are in the monsoon season here and so far very little activity. As soon as it starts up the CC will get moved to the covered patio. We can get 2+ inches an hour and really high winds when it hits and even the best covers can leak with that amount of rain and wind.
Last year I had my pellet locker leak and a partial bag of pellets got soaked, those pellets were like sponges and swelled to three times their normal size, thought I was going to have to get a crane to get that bag out of there.

when I had my pit boss I not only covered the smoker, but also layered a soft cotton towel and then a trash bag ( flat, not opened ) as a extra water layer for the electronics. I put this on the left side over the hopper. I did this not only to protect the electronics, but also because I was a little lazy emptying the hopper out. The smoke stack side would sometimes have some moisture, but the hopper side was always dry and I didn't have pellets clumping up.

I have thought about making a cover (or retrofitting simple heavy bag) over the hopper for those "just in case" moments. Or maybe even to allow me to use it in the even of drizzle or such

Back