I was young...and arrogant

James Tag

TVWBB Member
I got humbled last night.

I've never made a bad rack of ribs. Nver.

It happened last night.

I was doing two racks of beef ribs, simple, light rub, smoke'em and sauce'em and serve'em, right?

Well, I had two little smokers going, one with the old Kingsford, one with the new.
New Kingsford, got hot real fast, just like they say it will, kept a constant temperature, and worked great, produced a nice smokey flavor.

Old Kingsford on old smoker didn't do so well. There was a small rare spot on each of the ribs in that rack, I don't know if it was a frozen spot that didn't totally thaw or what, but it was bad, very, very bad.

I got humbled. Guess I gotta get back in there and work a little harder next time.

I know how you feel man. About 3 weeks ago my brother had me make him 9 slabs of back ribs. I fired up the wsm with the first time burn of the new kingsford. I got it going using a modified minion that I had been using for quite some time. 1 chimney spread around the outside of the ring and one lit in the center.

Things started well came up to temp nicely got my vents set to hold about 215. I was out working but came back several times and the thing was running great around 220. I checked 3 or 4 times over the first 3 hours. So I got busy and kind of forgot about it. I never hesitated to walk away from the old Kingsford for the whole cook. Well I went back at 6 hours to take them off and to my surprise the temp was reading 270.
icon_eek.gif
I sampled them and they were pretty good but quite hot. I guess when my brother got them home they had cooled a bit and became very crispy. My first and hopefully my last batch of extra crispy ribs.

I doubt I will ever use new K on any of my ribs again.

Fire that puppy up again and work through it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Good to know I'm not the only one
icon_wink.gif

I tihnk I may do something simple, like a pork tenderloin, just so I can get used to the burn rate of the new K.

I was happy with the ones on the new K, the temp just rose a lot faster than I thought it would.

Back