I want to do cold smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm thinking of doing some cold smoking in the spring, like hams maybe or corned beef even sausages. Im thinking of buying a second barrel (middle part) from webber and rig some kind of large disk with a small hole,the size of 28oz can, in the middle to put at the middle section of the new contraption so this way I hope I'll get smoke without much heat. Does anyone has an opinion on this? I posted the same thing on the mod board to no avail. I'm trying my luck here. Maybe someone knows or has an idea.

Take a hot plate and place in the bottom of the WSM, place a metal pan on the hot plate and add sawdust or chips to the pan. Can control the easily and should work effectively.
Jim
PS: The hole may work but have never tried it.

Ron and Jim,
I was thinking about this also. I really want to try to cold smoke some butt bacon. My thought was to use a lot less charcoal like about five briquettes and add 1 piece as needed. I hadn't thought of using my second chamber but I think that's a great idea. Use sand in both water pans and a pizza stone on one of the mid chamber racks. Sounds like another test and maybe some...beer?
Dave
What do ya think?

The reason I like the hotplate idea is because of the time you are looking at to cold smoke in most cases. Using small amounts of charcoal but reloading and running those low temps for long periods is a lot trouble.
Jim

Before you go too far with this thought, research the Web for cold smoking. You will discover several sites with expert information. There are some cautions you should know so that you don't poison yourself. You must also become proficient at stitching (Brining with a pump) and above all, know the proper ingredients for brining. My wife and I cold smoked for several years (hogs, lamb, venison, sausages all shapes and sizes). Your problem will be maintaining a slow, smudgy fire that is cool; in the 90 degrees F. range.

There are several good sources for info. Morton Salt is a good start, also Rytek Kutas.

willg

Thanks Will for the heads-up. Morton TQ and Prague powder seem to be de rigueur in cold smoking, dry curing and brining. It's abit scary and I will head your advise and proceed with great care. I might not want to cold smoke that low. I was more thinking in the 150 range. I tried 90 degrees once with 4 brikets and a lump of wood on top that I started with a welder's torch. High maintenace job if you ask me. That's why I am looking for an easier solution. Something I don't have to play with every 1/2 hour or so for 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back