I want a raised warming rack for my old Genesis

derek_d

TVWBB Fan
I have an older 3 burner Genisis.

I noticed the new gassers have a raised warming rack. I want one for my old Genesis. The standard warming rack is part # 7513 and doesn't give a lot of clearance. Anybody know if there is a raised warming rack for the older grills?

I just recently restored a 2004 Genesis Silver B for my father in law and wanted the same thing. Noticed the new Spirits had the raised warming rack and like it a lot better.

It's not "made" for the Genesis, but works great because the cook box is exactly the same for the old 3 burner Genesis and 3 burner Spirit, even though they're now made in China. The notches are in the same spot and it fits right in. According to the schematic, it's part 91289.

I ordered it along with a few more parts for the Genesis, and they didn't give me any trouble for it not being the right grill. They just said they weren't sure it would fit, but I told them I measured it at Ace and the cook boxes were exactly the same dimensions. I think it was about $17 + $7 to ship. Keep in mind they ship everything for a flat $7, so if you need some more parts it's still just $7 to ship.

Good Luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
How does this differ from the regular Silver B warming rack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know these aren't Silver B grills, but I think they do a nice job of showing how the older grills warming racks sit closer to the grill than the newer raised warming racks.

Spirit_E310_diff_1.jpg

DSC01151%20(Small).JPG

DSC01151%20(Small).JPG

I gotta' agree:

The "flat" warming rack sits too close to the main grates, and just gets in the way.

The raised design appears to be MUCH better.

One other option:
(Weber Part Number 80632 $13.60 USD)
Old Genesis units & Spirit-500 / -700 had U-Slots in the lid end-panels. There was a hanging / pivoting "basket" that fit into these slots - creating a warming rack that is suspended within the lid, and swings up / out-of-the-way, while remaining level, when the lid is opened.

Morning all,

Making a second level or warming rack is a pretty simple addition to most grills. I had almost 8 inches of clearance between the top and bottom levels. Using 3/8 inch carriage bolts, washers and nuts as supports any size grate can be incorporated onto your grill. The length of the bolts is determined by allowable height in your hood. Here's the design posted by Shelly of California, that several people I know have used.

Good luck, Elliot

http://www.bbqsource-forums.co...?showtopic=2409&st=0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elliot:
Morning all,

Making a second level or warming rack is a pretty simple addition to most racks. I had almost 8 inches of clearance between the top and bottom levels. Using 3/8 inch carriage bolts, washers and nuts as supports any size grate can be incorporated onto your grill. The length of the bolts is determined by allowable height in your hood. Here's the design posted by Shelly of California, that several people I know have used.

Good luck, Elliot

http://www.bbqsource-forums.co...?showtopic=2409&st=0 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, elliot!
icon_smile.gif
Good to see you here.

elliot and I have newer Genesis models that will allow the 8" carriage bolts which gives plenty of room for manipulating food at the standard grate level. You may have to use shorter bolts depending on your grill hood depth. You can get by with 6" bolts, but if you have room, get the 8" -- you can always adjust down if you need more space on top. (I used the simple expedient of a beer can to test the top for space
icon_biggrin.gif
.)

Also be aware the the concept of "warming rack" is pretty much a mis-nomer. In the Genesis at least, the temp on both levels is about the same, so it is effectively another "cooking rack".

I got all my parts at Lowe's building supply. Someone else's spare rack (Char Broil, I think), carriage bolts and 8 washers and bolts to hold the rack in place. Just make sure you measure the depth of your hood as well as the internal front/back and side/side dimensions so you get bolts and rack that will fit.

Rich

I just made something similar with an old cooking grate for my genesis. It's only 4 inches tall though. I wanted it to fit in my kettle as well as my genesis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
I just made something similar with an old cooking grate for my genesis. It's only 4 inches tall though. I wanted it to fit in my kettle as well as my genesis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understandable. The reason I went with 8" was that I wanted to flip burgers and other meats without problems and I thought even 6" was a little tight.

Rich

Back