I Taught My Neighbor Some Thing New!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I had a couple neighbors over yesterday for burgers. The guy next door to me had never seen lump charcoal OR a chimney starter! He was wondering why I was burning wood in a tube! I explained to him the difference between lump and briquettes and how using a chimney starter lets you NOT use petroleum products to start charcoal. He was very impressed! But,then again,he's a propane only sort of guy!

I had a couple neighbors over yesterday for burgers. The guy next door to me had never seen lump charcoal OR a chimney starter! He was wondering why I was burning wood in a tube! I explained to him the difference between lump and briquettes and how using a chimney starter lets you NOT use petroleum products to start charcoal. He was very impressed! But,then again,he's a propane only sort of guy!

Phil, maybe if you keep inviting them back you will make a charcoal convert out of him. I'll take the charcoal grilled burger every time.

Its funny-not to sound snobbish but you might say we have a duty to educate the novice outdoor cook. I cant tell you how many times I have been in the grill section of HD or Lowes and I overhear a couple discussing their future grill purchase. I so badly want to chime in with my "expert knowledge" (lol) and educate them on the pros and cons of their choice-especially when the very helpful but not so knowledgeable store person is giving them false information-but I remain silent unless they happen to ask me for my opinion.

I've only been smoking and grilling as a hobby for the last few years and switched to chimney's early on. There's still a part of me though that gets nostalgic for the smell of WAY TOO MUCH lighter fluid!

When. Began looking at gasses to compliment my OTS I figured I wanted a weber but the price seemed steep. As I was oogling a Genesis one day a guy came up to he and said he wished his 18 year old genny would die so had an excuse to pickup a new one but it wouldn't. From that point I knew to save my money for a weber. Now I try to pass the info to anyone who will listen

Steve,when I wander Lowe's or Home depot during my lunch time,I always start at the grill section. And I've butted in on several conversations about grills! Friendly,but totally unsolicited! :D

Steve,when I wander Lowe's or Home depot during my lunch time,I always start at the grill section. And I've butted in on several conversations about grills! Friendly,but totally unsolicited! :D

Right On Phil! I used to butt in but it seemed that more often then not the people here in Northern California were not very receptive to my advice. Especially when it looked to them like I was trying to "up-sell" them from a cheap gas grill to a Weber Genesis or Summit. Hell I didn't even work at the store! LOL

Back