I ruined it!!!!

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Tonight was my first time making roadside chicken. I mixed up the sauce last night to give it time to sit and let the flavors come together. I was so excited to come home and make it. I lit up a chimney of Kingsford blue and brushed the sauce on the chicken. I did not have time to marinade it as the chicken was still frozen when I took it out of the fridge this morning. When the grill was good and ready, I put the chicken on and brushed more sauce on it. I flipped the chicken every 5 minutes and brushed on more sauce on both sides each time.

CIMG4374.jpg

Things were going well when I was not thinking and went to go talk to my next door neighbor. He was doing some landscaping in the back yard. I talked a little too long with him and the chicken over cooked.

CIMG4375.jpg

I loved the taste of it. I thought it tasted great, but with the chicken being overcooked, it just ruined it. I must say I will definitely try it again and hope for better results. Maybe next time I will try marinading the chicken too. My wife did not eat with my daughters and I as she was too busy nursing our 3 and a half week old son. I later asked her what she thought of it and she said it just tasted like normal grilled chicken. I should know better than to ask her how things taste as she is all for the normal plain old things all the time. Here's hoping that it comes out better next time and that I don't get caught talking to my neighbor again. I will tell him that I cannot talk because my dinner is more important
icon_biggrin.gif
I did not live up to the shirt my inlaws bought for me that says "American Grill Master"
icon_frown.gif

Hey looks good to me and over cooked chicken is not nearly as bad as a over cooked steak . And you could always use it to make a pizza with
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Besides atleast you can eat your mistakes
icon_biggrin.gif

There have been a couple of things that have greatly improved my grilling: (1) discovering how to make a two level fire, and (2) taking enough beer to the grill that I don't have to leave its side during the cook!

Chicken still looks pretty good! My wife, before she went all veggie on me, actually used to ask for some "crust" on her chicken.

Pat

Another thought...try cooking indirect. If you want true direct grill effect, then finnish direct over the coals. Cooking chicken indirect is much more forgiving.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did not have time to marinade it as the chicken was still frozen when I took it out of the fridge this morning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Marinate it. If the chicken is frozen still it doesn't matter - put it right in the marinade and let it thaw in it. World of difference.

Sorry about your chicken. I've marinated from frozen, and it is just fine. The marinade with the Roadside really makes a big difference in the flavor. And, BSB's are not the greatest vehicle for it, try some real chicken pieces, thighs and legs and wings. All the goodness of Roadside really sticks nicely to the skin.

Never mind Chuck,every stuff-up is one step closer to being an expert, everyone had to start somewhere.
Chicken breast fillets are something you have to keep your eye on nearly all the time because they have almost no fat in them, not like the thighs and legs which have plenty.
If next time you don't have time to marinate, build a 2 step fire meaning half charcoal grate with hot coals and half with no coals and start with indirect like Steve suggested, give a good pre-coat with the marinate and use it as a baste instead.Every 5 minutes,take off lid and give it a good lashing of the marinate all over untill you you think they are almost ready,place them over the fire section of the grill and leave the lid off but give it a few good bastings while over the fire...yep..you might be chasing some flames but that's half the fun and gives a real nice charing, but don't leave them on too long or they'll burn.The point in this method is putting on layers of marinate and flavour.
Give that a try and you'll notice a big difference...it's a similar method as a reverse sear that you'd do with larger cuts of meat.

Cheers

Davo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Another thought...try cooking indirect. If you want true direct grill effect, then finnish direct over the coals. Cooking chicken indirect is much more forgiving....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great suggestion.......I've been banking coals to one side of my performer. I've been alternating time between direct and indirect with great results (especially with skinless breasts)

I do Roadside a lot (my wife loves it)........marinading a little longer can't hurt and turn & mop often while grilling (don't leave your post!!)......you'll love the results!

Well if u dont have time to marinate(store bought fresh chicken breasts) and wanna cook em right away a good chicken rub and inject with some good marinade wont hurt.

Picked this one up early this spring:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bless//Me

Forget about boneless skinless breasts too. Cooking on-bone chicken with skin takes much longer, giving you more time to flip and baste and build layers of flavor on the chicken.

For me, BSB's cook in about 5 minutes.

Well the bone out skinless still have a place on the grill "no offence" but u have to be on ur guard and take em in the right moment(always use a probe on meat temp)

All foods can be grilled/bbq´ed if u just get em off in the right time.

Bless//Me

If you're gonna do b/s chicken breasts - and my daughters really like them so I cook b/s chicken breats a lot - another good idea is to brine them OR marinade them in mojo marinade. There's something about the citrus acids in the mojo and the chicken that just go well together.

Pat

Thanks for the tips and reassurance! All in all, the chicken was not terrible. I am used to it being very tender and juicy. I messed it up and it was not tender and juicy that I am used to. There is always next time. Roadside chicken take one was not a total bust as I found out how great this recipe is. Thank you Bryan!!! Thanks again to everyone else!!!

i dunno Chuck, those breasts look fine to me.
butt you know what they say bout falling off a bike...
icon_biggrin.gif

I have been doing b s breasts for years on gas and coals. To me the key is a quick sear over the coals then a move to indircet. At turning time another quick sear then a move to indirect.
I ahve also seared both sides then moved to indirect.
On gas I take the grill to 400, same with coals (I use a Maverick and just monitor the transmitter stuck into the lid vent. Or just stick a thermometer down it). I have never gone wrong. 5-8 minutes a side @ 400

It might be overcooked but you didn't really make roadside chicken. get fresh whole thighs (with bone and skin) and marinade for 12 hours if you love salty spicy or 6 hours if you want it toned down. while cooking I use a spray bottle to sauce them and I alternate direct/indirect. I pull them off at 165-168 and leave them covered for 5 minutes or so.

Back