I pulled out a brisket

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I have a couple questions/ideas for the fellow brisket lovers.
I pulled out a quite large brisket with a nice thick flat I got on sale at Costco a while back. I want to stick it on Big Z while the weather is good. Wife saw it on counter thawing and got on my case that I should make it for Christmas. I am no prognosticator and don't have a crystal ball. That thing is huge and will need an overnight cook (and maybe more :D) While it will fit in the MM and I have no qualms about using it, I still run into the rain/snow and overnight issue, I cannot use MM overnight in shelter of garage, I am definitely NOT gonna run an uncovered grill in bad weather either. I prefer using the Z because of it's generous size, and ability to run remotely through the app.
I am also planning so the cook can maybe speed up a bit to remove the flat and cook them at same time but separated to reduce the bulk and make handling easier. So...................a thought.
What if I cooked it this weekend, gave it a good reset and split it into more easily handled "chunks". IOW cut the flat in half and the brisket (after cooking and fully resting), then had her freeze those chunks until XMas Day (or day before) then simply warm what is needed in the oven in a large covered roaster?
I know the trick of slicing it, portioning it and freezing vacuum bags to rewarm in simmering water, are nothing short of fantastic and gets an experience indistinguishable from right off the smoker.
I am really in a quandary. One HUGE advantage of my proposed method is if we end up having Christmas Day at my sister's there is no cooking. Simply pop in the oven while having apps and cocktails.
Really uncertain as to what to do........................................HELP from anyone who's found themselves in this type of a pickle

Sounds reasonable, I’d go the quarter and vacuum pack route, the ease of transport will be worth the added time “up front“.
If you can control the location, it’s a little easier if you cant, you’ve got it covered! Enjoy!

Ya think it's ok to freeze the cooked portions again seeing as how I froze the entire brisket before cooking it? Not concerned about food safety since I know it will be "safe". Just quality

If it is smoked, sliced and vac sealed AND you travel to your sisters, wouldn't the reheat just involve a large pot of water and or a roasting pan with some water in the oven? I've not done this with brisket but for other cuts slicing it cold has zero loss of juices. The the reheat in the vac seal bag keeps the juices in. I've done this with Rib Eye, Flank Steak, Tri Tip, pork ribs and pulled pork and I would think brisket would be no different.

If it is smoked, sliced and vac sealed AND you travel to your sisters, wouldn't the reheat just involve a large pot of water and or a roasting pan with some water in the oven? I've not done this with brisket but for other cuts slicing it cold has zero loss of juices. The the reheat in the vac seal bag keeps the juices in. I've done this with Rib Eye, Flank Steak, Tri Tip, pork ribs and pulled pork and I would think brisket would be no different.
My hope was to not slice it. But vacuum seal the quarters and freeze. Then, simply thaw, and remove from package. Place in large roaster or such (unsliced) and heat through again before slicing.

Ya think it's ok to freeze the cooked portions again seeing as how I froze the entire brisket before cooking it? Not concerned about food safety since I know it will be "safe". Just quality
Yes, but I would slice first. Dredge the slices in the juice from the cutting board, seal and freeze. We do that all the time with brisket. I can't speak for larger pieces, because I've never tried that. If you trim the fat, render it for tallow, and add some of that to the bags too.

I reheat the slices in a sous vide at ~ 175, but you can do the same in a simmering pot of water on the stove top. Just make sure that the temp of the simmering water doesn't exceed the brisket cook temp, you're gold.

Yes, but I would slice first. Dredge the slices in the juice from the cutting board, seal and freeze. We do that all the time with brisket. I can't speak for larger pieces, because I've never tried that. If you trim the fat, render it for tallow, and add some of that to the bags too.

I reheat the slices in a sous vide at ~ 175, but you can do the same in a simmering pot of water on the stove top. Just make sure that the temp of the simmering water doesn't exceed the brisket cook temp, you're gold.
Trying to avoid bringing a ton of already packaged and sliced meat out on Christmas. Which is why the inquiry about quartering the brisket then freezing maybe 2 quarters and slicing the rest for individual meal packets at a later date. I'm now an old hand at the individual "meal" packs vacuum sealed and frozen.. Love it. Have a supply of pork shoulder and brisket in there right now

There should not be any safety issues, I’d quarter it and drop it in a pot when the cocktails start flowing! You will be fine.
I think its Easier to handle a larger piece of meat into a bag then to try and get slices nicely arranged. Take the easy way, vacuum, freeze, take to venue, slice, enjoy. It’s just as easy as doing it at home.

There should not be any safety issues, I’d quarter it and drop it in a pot when the cocktails start flowing! You will be fine.
I think its Easier to handle a larger piece of meat into a bag then to try and get slices nicely arranged. Take the easy way, vacuum, freeze, take to venue, slice, enjoy. It’s just as easy as doing it at home.
Well it's gonna be a small Christmas gathering this year. Just us and my kids, spouses and the 3 grandchildren. Long winded reason but in a nutshell because of illness with our dad and other familial issues.

Both my parents have passed to the ”Larger life” and I miss them every day! They are with me always, especially when I’m fiddling about in the kitchen. Tonight, it’s a huge pan of “Chicken Marbella”, first attempt and I’m tweaking things just a tiny bit. Should be great! Time to finish up in the kitchen and be ready for the family and granddaughter’s guest to arrive. Fire burning brightly in the hearth, a good time should be had by all.
Larry, prayers are offered for the health and well being of your family. You and your wife as well, of course.

Both my parents have passed to the ”Larger life” and I miss them every day! They are with me always, especially when I’m fiddling about in the kitchen. Tonight, it’s a huge pan of “Chicken Marbella”, first attempt and I’m tweaking things just a tiny bit. Should be great! Time to finish up in the kitchen and be ready for the family and granddaughter’s guest to arrive. Fire burning brightly in the hearth, a good time should be had by all.
Larry, prayers are offered for the health and well being of your family. You and your wife as well, of course.
Thank you very much

So I am thinking due to rain and stuff today the Member's Mark will be pressed into service to do the brisket. I am considering doing it in 2 pieces (flat and point) at same time but separately. So I realize there are 2 ways to remove the flat. Can follow the muscle line, and carefully extract it from the brisket. But that will leave a weird end on the point. Or I can simply go to the end of the muscle line and cut it off by going straight down which will yield an easier to handle 2 pieces of meat.
Thoughts?

I would do it whole then just quarter it but, that’s just me. For me the larger piece is more forgiving, smaller pieces are more temperamental for me. If you do the whole banana then let it rest and quarter it the pieces should be more uniform in their ”doneness“. That’s just one cranky old fart’s opinion.

Is it raining all day up there? Supposed to clear up elsewhere
YEah, no clearing predicted. Actually was a little snow on my front yard this AM.
FWIW not going to quarter before cooking. Just want to separate the flat from the point before cooking, then finish quartering after cook and rest period

I think I am gonna forego the cook today. Looks like Tuesday into Wed will be more in line and since I have no appointments or pressing matters more easily scheduled for me to get things prepped and then depending on conditions use whichever grill is going to be least "in the wind". As it seems wind is one of the biggest enemies to using a pellet cooker in winter.
I am still on the fence about taking the flat off but man it's BIG a$$ brisket. 17lbs! I chose this one because it had the thickest flat which I chose so perhaps if I don't separate them for cooking, it will give an advantage to possibly cook more evenly. On the ones where I was a little "wigged" out by how quickly the flat came up to temp/tenderness (having to go so far as to remove the flat before the whole thing was done) (which I never want to do again), my hope was the heftier flat on this one would more "even out".

All the more reason to leave it whole in my mind anyway.
I need to do some freezer diving this week so I can have room for one last “special“ cake!

Back