I need help with first cook on 22.5"

Marty M.

TVWBB Member
I've smoked quite a few times in an 18.5" before and now I've got a 22.5" coming in. I use the Minion method when smoking.

Should I do the exact same thing with the 22.5" that I've done with the 18.5"? My main question concerns how much chunk charcoal to use initially. Do I use the same amount as with the 18.5" (the 18.5"'s charcoal ring full of charcoal) or do I use more since the charcoal ring is bigger (or at least I'm assuming it is) with the 22.5"?

Also, do you find that you need more smoking wood chunks or is three enough?

I don't have the 22.5, but what I gather you don't change anything other than volume!

Fill er up and let her go! More volume/ more fuel= same results!

I use 6 chunks of wood with the 18.5, would say go 8 with the 22.5.

Keep us posted.

If you're used to filling the ring on the 18" I'd just go ahead and fill the ring on the 22". The ring's big but the 22" takes more fuel. It's not clear to me that they totally balance out but it's a place to start. If you have leftovers just close the vents and with any luck they'll carry over to the next cook.

In terms of smoke wood I wouldn't vary the amount, at least to start.

I should say - I have a 22" and not an 18", but I'm fairly confident the above will work because all the recipes on the website were set up for an 18" and that's what I did and everything worked great from the start.

Back